Getting rid of tar

Part of my concrete drive had been covered with a thin skim of black top, which was falling apart (looked like the proverbial "bit of stuff left over guv" job). Having lifted what was left of the tarmac, underneath it in a number of places is what looks like tar (assumedly laid to help the top lay stick to the concrete). Any suggestions on how to get rid of the tar.

TIA

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

dig or burn

Reply to
mrcheerful

Clean the surface and apply tar all over. If you wish you can sprinkle on sand or very small chippings. I would expect it'd be quite a job to get all the tar off instead.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

I had a nasty feeling that would be the case. I want to try and avoid resurfacing if I can (90% of the concrete is OK), and the gates were rubbing on the tarmac anyway, so at last now I can open them easily (taking a quarter inch of the bottom is a non-trivial operation).

Thanks anyway

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

If you had tarmac you dont need to replace it with tarmac, you could tar instead. This is a thin coat of tar, maybe 4mm, and just makes everything tidy and black. Sprinkling on sand etc will improve the surface significantly.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

Hmm, worth thinking about.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Apply petrol, add lit match, retreat (qucikly)

Its a bit like the clean up of the Exxon Valddeze, the best clean up job of the sea was to burn the oil in the sea, unforotunatly the worst mess to the rest of the plase was to burn the oil in the sea ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

that much tar could keep the fire dept busy all day.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton