Getting rid of petrol smell

I put petrol in the car and didn't notice the spill (not me) that I then stepped in. Nearly fell over from the slipperness of it. I compained to the checkout person, but she didn't seem to do anything about it. I left, but on the way home the car smelt strongly of petrol from my contaminated shoes. I have scrubbed the soles with Swarfea and then washed with detergent, left them to dry in front of the heater all night but still they smell of petrol. Any ideas for getting rid of the pong?

- Mike

Reply to
Mike

The petrol is dissolved into the rubber. Washing is unlikely to make much difference, but it should dissipate by evaporation. Warmth will help but it will also require time.

Reply to
newshound

time.

You may not have noticed, but petrol evaporates.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it really is petrol just wait a couple of days. It its actually diesel you stepped in however, you have my commiserations (and a much longer lasting smell)......

Reply to
CB

The Natural Philosopher put finger to keyboard:

"Nearly fell over from the slipperness of it."

Diesel I reckon.

Reply to
Scion

Almost certainly.

Reply to
Adrian

A lighted match?

Reply to
Andy Bennett

Petrol can also be slippery if it slightly dissolves the sole! I know this the hard way from (many years ago) working as a petrol pump attendant. No diesel on the forecourt.

They were cheap shoes because of all that, but the soles did soften a bit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager put finger to keyboard:

Never thought of that! I just remember getting diesel on my shoes at a petrol station and my foot repeatedly slipping off the brake pedal when I went to exit onto the main road.

Petrol is a fine solvent. I found out the hard way when fettling a carb that a small plastic tub was not the best container for it.

Reply to
Scion

Its odd that because only a few plastics dissolve on petrol.

Years ago I had a small plastic Cox model aeroplane with a glow engine in it. That ran on methanol and nitromethane fuel. Very good solvents both - nitromethane even dissolves superglue.

Its wings were dirty and oily so I nicked some of me dad's 2-stroke mix to clean them - and the plastic dissolved!

polythene and butyl rubbers are safe with petrol.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher put finger to keyboard:

It was one of those measuring tubs included in washing powder boxes. Similar plastic to yoghurt pots.

Gah - I bet you were well miffed.

Reply to
Scion

I stopped as soon as I saw the crazing happening.

It still flew for many more crashes, and the engine flew on in different airframes for many more..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not as good as water though.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Step in some diesel.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have indeed found that warmth has lessened the smell considerably. I left the shoes sitting in front of a large storage heater overnight for several nights. However I have had to buy a replacement pair as these were my only Winter ones. I reckon the spill was a mixture of diesel and petrol because it smells of petrol but was as slippery as hell like diesel is. Cheers

- Mike

Reply to
Mike