Getting rid of cat urine smell....

The house we've moved into and are renovating used to have a self-contained flat on the 1st floor which was lived in by an old cat-loving lady who obviously had *no* sense of smell whatsoever, and we are guessing that she welcomed all and sundry local felines in regularly, since all the numerous local cats regularly try to get in.

Basically these cats have p****d all over the lower walls and skirting board of the flat, and it initially smelt so bad that I could hardly breathe up there.

The walls have a waist-height dado rail and anaglypta below. We've stripped the anaglypta back to the plaster, and scrubbed the plaster underneath with sugar-soap, but one patch in particular still reeks quite badly. I'm assuming the cat pee/spray has somehow soaked in.

Can anyone suggest a method to try and de-odorise the walls? Is there anything better than sugar-soap to use?

Thanks :)

Reply to
Jim

Have a look in Yellow Pages or Yell.com for Janitorial Supplies in your local area. Almost all of them stock the 'Prochem' range.

What you want is a product called Prochem Odour Neutraliser, a litre bottle is about £12 and dilutes enough to do a whole house.

This is what pro carpet cleaners use in old peoples homes....

Dave

Reply to
david lang

|The house we've moved into and are renovating used to have a |self-contained flat on the 1st floor which was lived in by an old |cat-loving lady who obviously had *no* sense of smell whatsoever, and |we are guessing that she welcomed all and sundry local felines in |regularly, since all the numerous local cats regularly try to get in. | |Basically these cats have p****d all over the lower walls and skirting |board of the flat, and it initially smelt so bad that I could hardly |breathe up there. | |The walls have a waist-height dado rail and anaglypta below. We've |stripped the anaglypta back to the plaster, and scrubbed the plaster |underneath with sugar-soap, but one patch in particular still reeks |quite badly. I'm assuming the cat pee/spray has somehow soaked in. | |Can anyone suggest a method to try and de-odorise the walls? Is there |anything better than sugar-soap to use?

*biological* washing powder dissolved in water. Allow it to soak in. Cats go to the same place every time attracted by the smell of urine/ammonia, so getting rid of the smell discourages repeat offence.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks Dave- will try and pick some up next week.

Reply to
Jim

It depends on your genes if you can smell cat spray or not; those that can find it a very strong smell, others can't smell it at all.

OTOH, most people can smell stale urine, but that might not have come from the cats at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

hehe... and there was me blaming the cats... :)

Reply to
Jim

Strong UV light will show location of uric acid crystals. Will need to look closely to see them.

Can be quite hard to wash away and usually needed masking with fragrance.

WM

So why do they still smell?

I'd like something to repel our local Mog from Spouse's scooter, which it sprays all the time. Renardine worked for a time but Puss obviously saw it as a challenge eventually.

I'd kill it if could catch it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

|> What you want is a product called Prochem Odour Neutraliser, a litre=20 |> bottle is about =A312 and dilutes enough to do a whole house. |>

|> This is what pro carpet cleaners use in old peoples homes.... | |So why do they still smell? | |I'd like something to repel our local Mog from Spouse's scooter, which = it=20 |sprays all the time. Renardine worked for a time but Puss obviously saw = it=20 |as a challenge eventually. | |I'd kill it if could catch it.

Wash the scooter in *biological* washing powder dissolved in water. The moggy is claiming the scooter as its property.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Tried a super soaker? Few blasts when ever it comes near and it'll soon learn to avoid.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That would certainly work. But it comes in the night when I'm in the arms of Morpheus.

That is, Spouse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why not just chop out the particularly offensive plaster? Neutradol is pretty good for dispersing pet smells.

Reply to
Rob Morley

PIR detector + electric pump + sprinkler jets = soggy moggy :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

How about one of the automatic "super soakers" then?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The carpet cleaners or the old peoples homes? Dave

Reply to
david lang

Use a pressure washer.

Reply to