Getting rid of a rat

Page 5 of 6
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:36:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

... but this was covered by Discovery Channel so it must be right.....

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Oh! Why didn't you say so?
That changes everything.
Mary <crossing fingers>
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:36:50 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

... but this was covered by Discovery Channel so it must be right.....

.. poor spouse.... .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

activities
On the contrary, lucky Spouse.
Mary

"Mary Fisher" wrote | <sigh - it might have been nice>
There was an 85-year old woman on the radio this afternoon who's just started learning Gaelic. It's never too late to try something new.
Owain
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:49:41 -0000, "Owain"

Good for her. After the disgraceful behaviour of Nottingham Uni. with respect to the student from Ceredigion and not being prepared to accept his Welsh A level, this is very heartening.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >"Mary Fisher" wrote | >| <sigh - it might have been nice> | >There was an 85-year old woman on the radio this afternoon | >who's just started learning Gaelic. It's never too late to | >try something new. | Good for her. After the disgraceful behaviour of Nottingham Uni. | with respect to the student from Ceredigion and not being | prepared to accept his Welsh A level, this is very heartening.
Interestingly, according to his school's (Penweddig, Aberystwyth) prosbectus, "More than half of Penweddig's pupils come from homes where little or no Welsh is spoken." and "We are proud of the fact that the school's results are regularly included in the top twenty schools in Wales."
Owain
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:35:50 -0000, "Owain"

I understand that Aberystwyth itself is relatively mixed. I lived in the north for a while and have numerous friends for whom English is definitely the second language.
I hope that the powers that be at Nottingham are suitably embarrassed by their stupidity.
It's of the same ilk as John Redwood's mime of Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau at a public event while Welsh secretary, although not quite as funny; and of George 'Dubya' Bush wanting to know "which state Wales is in".
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote | I understand that Aberystwyth itself is relatively mixed. | I lived in the north for a while and have numerous friends | for whom English is definitely the second language.
I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron post office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English and the whole conversation had to be conducted by pointing at the picture of stamps on the wall.
It's a foreign country :-)
Owain
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:00:29 -0000, "Owain"

As in between Lampeter and Aberaeron?
I had a similar experience in a pub in Blaenau Ffestiniog in the days when Caernarfon was a dry county on Sundays. There wasn't a problem selecting the products though. This was a Saturday and I was invited back to the regular's "private club" on the Sunday. :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Andy Hall" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron post | >office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English and the whole | >conversation had to be conducted by pointing at the picture of | >stamps on the wall. | As in between Lampeter and Aberaeron?
There are others???
Owain
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:13:06 -0000, "Owain"

Not to my knowledge, but you never know in Wales.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

office
conversation
They're mostly English there.
Including one of our daughters.
Mary

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:00:29 -0000, "Owain"

Quick guide to Welsh:
Double every "l"
Stick "io" on the end of the nouns.
"Andy Dingley" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron | >post office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English | >and the whole conversation had to be conducted by pointing at | >the picture of stamps on the wall. | Quick guide to Welsh: | Double every "l"
<wipes monitor>
| Stick "io" on the end of the nouns.
No, it's io on verb infinitives and (i)wch on verb imperatives:
Stop - stopio - stopiwch Phone - ffo^nio - ffo^niwch Smoke - smocio - smociwch
It's au or iau on plural nouns:
Stamps - stampiau Shops - siopau Sausages - sosejau
On later reflection, the problem might have been with the postmaster not being terribly sure about stamps, in any language. New things, stamps, probably hadn't quite got used to them yet.
Owain
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:08:50 -0000, "Owain"

Entrance to hell - Blaenau..... :-)
.. apart from on a wet Sunday afternoon when it's the end of the earth.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Dingley wrote: :: On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:00:29 -0000, "Owain"
:: ::: I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron post ::: office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English and the ::: whole conversation had to be conducted by pointing at the picture ::: of stamps on the wall. :: :: Quick guide to Welsh: :: :: Double every "l" :: :: Stick "io" on the end of the nouns.
Reminds me of the old joke about the Englishman on holiday in North Wales.
Everywhere he went, the natives reverted to the 'Welsh' when he appeared. In the end he spoke to the Pastor about it.
"Boyo" said the Pastor, "the Welsh are a shy people.You must engratiate yourself. Just say Jakida boyo!"
"Jakida boyo" said the Englishman "What does that mean?"
"Greetings friend" said the Pastor.
The Englishman remembered this & one Sunday he was walking down a country lane when he saw a man with his head under the bonnet of a car, "Jakida boyo" he greeted, "F**K OFF you Welsh B******D" was the reply ;-) -- J.Milton.Hayes
"J.Milton.Hayes" wrote | Andy Dingley wrote: | :: Stick "io" on the end of the nouns. | "F**K OFF you Welsh B******D"
I forgot that one in the earlier list: ffwcio :-)
Owain
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:26:11 -0000, "Owain"

I always liked the expression
"Bronnau fel bryniau Eryri"

http://www.geocities.com/brechdantywod/orange.html -- J.Milton.Hayes