Getting rid of a rat

Well, I've shaken and brushed it out. You can't really get your hand inside a Ratzapper anyway. I also try always to use gloves when handling the thing.

I check every couple of days - but using only a mirror to look inside, rather than picking it up.

I was thinking of trying peanut butter - or somesuch - rather than the pellets supplied with the Ratzapper, but am concerned it would get smeared around inside and would be very difficult to clean up. Any comments? Maybe Nutella or peanut butter spread on a biscuit or something?

Reply to
Set Square

Will still stink of human...

Still leave your smell in the general area. Extend the time. Where is it placed? Rats/mice don't like to venture out into open areas and will run along edges and under cover.

Peanut butter goes rancid after a week, nutella just dries out a bit. Both are more or less qually effective as bait, that is good. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good for her. After the disgraceful behaviour of Nottingham Uni. with respect to the student from Ceredigion and not being prepared to accept his Welsh A level, this is very heartening.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh! Why didn't you say so?

That changes everything.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On the contrary, lucky Spouse.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I have enough new skills to learn to keep me going for a very long time. Never thought about Gaelic though ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Last year we had a rat which would stroll about in the open garden in broad daylight while we were around.

Rats, like all animals, do nothing invariably.

We assumed that was the one we caught in the zapper because we stopped seeing it after we caught one.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >"Mary Fisher" wrote | >| | >There was an 85-year old woman on the radio this afternoon | >who's just started learning Gaelic. It's never too late to | >try something new. | Good for her. After the disgraceful behaviour of Nottingham Uni. | with respect to the student from Ceredigion and not being | prepared to accept his Welsh A level, this is very heartening.

Interestingly, according to his school's (Penweddig, Aberystwyth) prosbectus, "More than half of Penweddig's pupils come from homes where little or no Welsh is spoken." and "We are proud of the fact that the school's results are regularly included in the top twenty schools in Wales."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I understand that Aberystwyth itself is relatively mixed. I lived in the north for a while and have numerous friends for whom English is definitely the second language.

I hope that the powers that be at Nottingham are suitably embarrassed by their stupidity.

It's of the same ilk as John Redwood's mime of Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau at a public event while Welsh secretary, although not quite as funny; and of George 'Dubya' Bush wanting to know "which state Wales is in".

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | I understand that Aberystwyth itself is relatively mixed. | I lived in the north for a while and have numerous friends | for whom English is definitely the second language.

I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron post office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English and the whole conversation had to be conducted by pointing at the picture of stamps on the wall.

It's a foreign country :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As in between Lampeter and Aberaeron?

I had a similar experience in a pub in Blaenau Ffestiniog in the days when Caernarfon was a dry county on Sundays. There wasn't a problem selecting the products though. This was a Saturday and I was invited back to the regular's "private club" on the Sunday. :-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Andy Hall" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron post | >office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English and the whole | >conversation had to be conducted by pointing at the picture of | >stamps on the wall. | As in between Lampeter and Aberaeron?

There are others???

Owain

Reply to
Owain

terminating

Depends on how you hold it. Someone I know shot a pheasant sitting in a tree- yes upwards. The assorted remains settled back down all over him. His ma nearly had a fit when he arrived home looking like an alien. He never shot living things again! Dad took his gun away!

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Quick guide to Welsh:

Double every "l"

Stick "io" on the end of the nouns.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No this is...

What is the difference between a duck?

(Scroll down when baffled)

One leg is the same.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

That's not obscure, just very, very old.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

conversation

They're mostly English there.

Including one of our daughters.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >I can remember trying on holiday to buy stamps in Ciliau Aeron | >post office from a very old postmaster who had *no* English | >and the whole conversation had to be conducted by pointing at | >the picture of stamps on the wall. | Quick guide to Welsh: | Double every "l"

| Stick "io" on the end of the nouns.

No, it's io on verb infinitives and (i)wch on verb imperatives:

Stop - stopio - stopiwch Phone - ffo^nio - ffo^niwch Smoke - smocio - smociwch

It's au or iau on plural nouns:

Stamps - stampiau Shops - siopau Sausages - sosejau

On later reflection, the problem might have been with the postmaster not being terribly sure about stamps, in any language. New things, stamps, probably hadn't quite got used to them yet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not to my knowledge, but you never know in Wales.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Entrance to hell - Blaenau..... :-)

.. apart from on a wet Sunday afternoon when it's the end of the earth.....