Getting rid of a rat

Page 3 of 6

A Ratzapper.
Do a Google. Expensive but worth it.
Mary

terminating
Chuff me Mary, 50 quid and no sport in it! Actually I could imagine some of the local(-ish) scrotes nicking the bloody thing. How well does it work outside?
Cheers Clive

places
of
Used as per the instructions it's extremely effective, inside, outside, in all weathers.
The local "scrotes (don't know what that means but I can imagine) can't get into our back garden. What's more, the local scrotes wouldn't know what it was so I doubt that they'd nick it. We live in a high crime area and even though we've left ours in the drive, which is accessible, it hasn't gone. It doesn't have a price tag on it and scrotes (I'm beginning to get into this :-) ) aren't all that bright so have no idea of its purpose or worth.
As for sport, well that's fine if you can use a gun on your property. We can't.
It's not messy like the Little Nipper types, there's no blood and you don't handle the corpse (unless you want to). since there's no physical damage to the animal it could be used for dissection.
By the way, it also works for mice but hedgehogs can't get in.
You could of course make your own ...
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Course you can. get an air rifle, and when you have sniped the rat poplution into a bosnian war zone, you can get a ladder onto your roof and practice on the local scrotes and speeding motorists.

where's the fun in that?
I mean an air rifle only kills them as well, but its almost as good as 'duke nukem'

Lord. 50 squids for a better mousetrap?

Mary,
I assume that you have got a Ratzapper - and have had some success with it?
We caught *one* rat with ours last year, but have not managed to temp any more to come near it - and we know they exist, we have seen them! I am trying to follow the recommended procedure of putting bait in but not turning it on until they get used to it - but the bait remains uneaten! I am using the little round pellets which came with it.
Do you use a different bait - if so, what?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:28:23 -0000, Set Square wrote:

Have you cleaned the trap thoroughly? Rats have very sensitive snifters, they may still be able to detect "the smell of death" what ever that is...

Who often do you check? Leave it well alone, ie keep at least 10' from it for at least a week, 'cause they'll still be able to smell you on the trap and may well be avoiding it for just that reason. The other obvious thing is to do is change the bait because what ever those pellets are they aren't the rat equivalent of the most yummiest, scrumptious thing you have very tasted.
Our mice can't resist Nuttella, had some success when we had rats as well. Though only caught the last inch and half of ones tail, which it knawed off.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Well, I've shaken and brushed it out. You can't really get your hand inside a Ratzapper anyway. I also try always to use gloves when handling the thing.

I check every couple of days - but using only a mirror to look inside, rather than picking it up.

I was thinking of trying peanut butter - or somesuch - rather than the pellets supplied with the Ratzapper, but am concerned it would get smeared around inside and would be very difficult to clean up. Any comments? Maybe Nutella or peanut butter spread on a biscuit or something?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:07:04 -0000, Set Square wrote:

Will still stink of human...

Still leave your smell in the general area. Extend the time. Where is it placed? Rats/mice don't like to venture out into open areas and will run along edges and under cover.

Peanut butter goes rancid after a week, nutella just dries out a bit. Both are more or less qually effective as bait, that is good. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Last year we had a rat which would stroll about in the open garden in broad daylight while we were around.
Rats, like all animals, do nothing invariably.
We assumed that was the one we caught in the zapper because we stopped seeing it after we caught one.
Mary

Clive Summerfield wrote:

12 bore.

Silenced Theoben. I've got 7 pellets, rapid loading and I ought to get 3 or 4 before the rest notice and scarper. Saves noise, gun cleaning and wasting shells too. -- Do whales have krillfiles ?

And you can tweak the power easily on them... who? when? ...never...

Too big. Use a .410.
Huge wrote:

Look, the point is not just to KILL the rat. You can do that with a .22 or even an air rifle.
We are talking about 'shock and awe' here. We want those rats to feel THREATENED. Like do you feel lucky today, rat? We want total obliteration, and rat fallout scattered around 'pour encourager les autres' et toute cette excrement.
We want rats at no more than 5 yards to 'feel the steel' and walk through a leaden hail of total annihilation.
I mean, you could try a small anti-personnel mine, but 'happiness is a warm gun' and all that.

writes:

places
terminating
Nice to see someone else shares my approach to pest control. It is never enough to simply remove the problem. One must prevent future incursions. The method can best be summarised as "First you will know fear, then you will know pain, then you will die!".
I'd use a Milan if it didn't mean risking the workshop....
Cheers Clive
Clive Summerfield wrote:

The trouble is a rat is pretty much the same as IMM. Even if death is staring him in the face, he woukld neither recognise, believe nor understand it.
Just shoot it and enjoy the sport. Anything else is a waste of emotional involvement.

Doesn't work. I've shot them and had the corpse eaten by the remaining rats.
Huge wrote:

Henec th4 euse of te 12 bore. There is very little corpse :-)

Clive Summerfield wrote:

Poison .... places where farmers go, e.g. Scats, have lots of good stuff.

NI3
--
< Paul >