Getting rid of a rat

Page 2 of 6
Huge wrote:

Exactly. Ther is nothing left to clean up. Just an overall natural organic smear that will compost much faster than a corpse.

terminating
.22
Depends on how you hold it. Someone I know shot a pheasant sitting in a tree- yes upwards. The assorted remains settled back down all over him. His ma nearly had a fit when he arrived home looking like an alien. He never shot living things again! Dad took his gun away!
Peter Scott

Arsenic laced bread under the hedges, but make sure you don't get other animals with it as well.
BigWallop wrote:

And where does one buy Arsenic these days?
Had a rats nest under my shed last year. Buggers carefully helped themselves to the peanut butter on the traps and all manner of other stuff. I didn't want to use poison bait because (a) I didn't want rotting rodents under said shed and (b) I understand that rats, not being stupid, allow juveniles to sample new food sources before tucking in.
Armonia, poured down the holes, was a recommended 'discouragement' but I couldn't find any strong enough to take my breath away. I resorted to petrol and a spade.
BOL Richard

try sitting on a razor blade - that'll give your arse a nick.
ZD

themselves
didn't
said
With 2 youngish children and 1 puppy, I'm rather averse to using poison, except as a last resort.

petrol
I assume you pour the petrol into the hole, light it and then use the spade to dig out the charred remains of Roland?
Cheers Clive
BigWallop wrote

Right, I've got the bread. Where do I get the Arsenic and Old Lace? :o)

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=90720&p=57&c=&g=72
6.99 and still gets played regularly in our house :-p
-- Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email * old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam * --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:10:07 GMT, "BigWallop"
Arsenic isn't toxic to rats. You'd have to load them with enough of it to give them metal fatigue before it started poisoning them.
This is an animal that has spent 60 million years living on shit. It's enormously tolerant to anything. An accumulative poison like arsenic will polish off a human fairly shortly, but rats can excrete it and it won't do much more than annoy them.
Besides which, if you do for for the poison route (and you really hate hedgehogs and slug-eating birds) then _please_ use the real stuff and place it in proper fixed-down boxes with narrow entries.
One of my christmas cards was built from a musical (sic) Xmas card, a candle, string and a rat trap http://www.livejournal.com/users/hirez/39369.html Good card, but they're still hard to get a rat to sit in front of. OK for narrow runs maybe, but not much use in the garden.
I'd shoot them.
Generally though, my only rat problems are when a cat brings one in and lets it loose for some indoor rat-coursing.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:54:39 GMT, "Clive Summerfield"

Jack Russell Terrier? In fact pretty much anything from the terrier family I'm led to believe.....
PoP
If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!
PoP wrote:

I'll second that. I have a Jack Russell and he is a fantastic ratter.
--
Howard Neil

From recent experience, Setters are cr*p at disuading rats.
Cheers Clive

Their job is to tell you where the quarry is, not to catch it themselves.
Colin Bignell
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:54:39 GMT, "Clive Summerfield"

Is there a local terrier club, or someone with a serious badass cat?
--
Niall

Niall wrote:

Some have suggested airguns, others have offered cats as the best technique. Can I offer this one?
http://jameshart.mine.nu/ngs/snipercat.jpg
--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Yep, that oughta do it...
--
Niall

Check with the environmental health department of your local council. Some will set bait or traps free of charge.

Well, I did catch one last year with a Rat Zapper - http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/ratzapper/ - but I've not had any success since.
The idea is that you get them used to coming in and eating the bait before turning it on - and then you turn it on - and, next time they come . . Z A P (it administers a very high voltage shock so that they die of a heart attack).
Trouble is, I can't get the sods to eat the bait this year - I'm going to try some different bait.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I live in converted farm buildings, so there's usually several hundred tonnes of rat food in nearby buildings, ergo we control rats all the time.
I use old-fashioned rat traps (there are some American plastic ones which work well, although expensive - fasten the trap down, I've known them disappear completely) and an anticoagulant bait called "Neosorexa" which I buy from Farmrite;
http://www.farmrite.co.uk/product.php?codeP12471100306&prev_cat #detail