Getting rid of a rat

Page 1 of 6
Hi,
We appear to have a rat in our back garden. I can see a couple of places where it might be hanging out. Anyone got any suggestions for terminating the b*gger with extreme prejudice?
Cheers Clive

Seriously, do you know anyone with / have you got a decent air rifle? A .22 at 12lbs will dispose of a rat or small rabbit very cleanly at up to 25 metres, more if the shooter is good.
Tony

Look after a Whippit for a week and let it stay in your garden. Sooner or later it will shake rattle and roll!!

Got an Irish Setter and a Gordon Setter. Neither seems to have had much of an influence on Roland. Might try borrowing the neighbour's Patterdales.
Cheers Clive
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:17:25 GMT, "Clive Summerfield"

My parents have always had Setters, of varying hue. I don't recall one of them that could hunt or retrieve.
They live near a pheasant hatchery, so the lanes are often full of the little flying hippies (bright plumage, hang around in woodlands, permanently stoned). Walking their Gordon Setter at night we'd often surprise one out of a hedge. Dog and bird would then stare at each other in equal bewilderment, until the bird managed to outwit it. "What do I do with this ?", you could see it thinking. "Will it be my friend ? It doesn't _look_ like a postman, or a car. Probably best not to bark at it then. Yes, Master will come along and sort it out for me."

Scrumpy is our first Gordon (just short of 4 months old), but we've had 7 Irish Setters as well. I would sum the breeds up as "affectionate, faithful, lively and totally and utterly gormless". Certtainly of no use wrt hunting. Response to wildlife of all forms appears to be "I wonder if it wants to play with me?".
Oh well, not going to risk poison with pets and children around, so it looks like the petrol and spade approach.
Cheers Clive
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:39:43 GMT, "Clive Summerfield"

Their currrent Setter is an Irish red & white. Probably one of the smarter ones. The Gordon was definitely the doziest. It traipsed around with an air of infinite sadness all day "If only they'd sit still and stop being so _confusing_, I might work out what was going on"
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

That's where the Ratzapper scores. No poison, no spring traps. No petrol.
Mary

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:28:19 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Wouldn't a Ratzapper also have a risk to children ?
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

No - it's far too small for them to climb into :-(
Mary

Andy Dingley wrote:

We can but hope.

Mary Fisher wrote:

No fun.

enuff wrote:

12 bore leaves less to clean up.

( If I could jut correct the original poster . The likelyhood is he hasn't got one rat but a whole lot of the buggers.)
We find a few cats around the place works wonders.
One year I laid poison to beat the band. It kept disappearing and I kept replacing it.
The following summer when searching for something in the workshop I came across a load of it which had been brought back for the family. Hadn't been touched to all appearances.
They aren't particularly fond of humans so you may find that something is drawing them to your premises. Bird feeders are notorious for doing this, as is waste food left around., or, as in our case, the outlet from the sink used by the waste disposal or the septic tank ( shudder)
Paul Mc Cann

Pretty sure there isn't a whole horde around here, though we live near a couple of farms so they could be refugees. Since removing all food from the bird table, the bugger(s) hasn't been sighted though there's a couple of suspicious holes in the gardens. Gonna try the petrol/portfire/spade option this weekend.
Cheers Clive

That's true.

It's been estimated that you're never more than a few metres from a rat.
And rats aren't solitary and they breed. You only see the tip of the iceberg.
Mary

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

It has been remarked that the only way to get rid of rats is to make your local environmnet a rat desert (as opposd to a desrt rat, which is something Nigella Lawson does with choclate and cream I believe).
Faced with starvation or migratin, your average rat will be over the hill faster than an illegal immigrant on methedrine.

Since it sprays vapourised rat all over the place, I think not. Even my .410 causes a certain amount of spatter.

Guess that as long as it gets taken out in the garden, it would act as a form of blood/bone fertiliser? Trying to look on the bright side here.
Cheers Clive
Clive Summerfield wrote:

My point exactly. Don';t even need to take it out. Just let the breeze carry the fragments.