Getting more use from a compressor

I have a cheap compressor (1.5hp, 10L receiver - branded "cosmo") that was bought a few years back for use with a nail gun. It mostly gets used for brad nailing, and with a blow head, and serves its purpose well enough.

One of the irritations with it however, is it does not auto switch based on receiver pressure - you have to turn it on and off manually. It's fitted with a crude bypass valve which basically "leaks" air once a preset pressure has been reached. This also has the implication that if you want an air supply at a particular pressure, then you have to run the receiver at that pressure as well, since there is no separate regulator for the output.

Fitting a secondary regulator would seem to be easy enough, but does anyone know where I can buy the type of switch gear fitted to most grown up compressors that I could retro fit to give full auto control?

(BTW this compressor does not have any special starting requirements that I am aware of - all the current switch gear does is switch the mains input to the motor)

Reply to
John Rumm

Main problem is that compressors in that bracket are soooo cheap, that by the time you've bought a pressure operated switch and a regulator + gauge you've almost paid for a new machine. If you don't believe me, check out Screwfix 24105. With a 50l receiver it's gobsmackingly cheap.

But, if you really want a pressure switch, Machine Mart do one at ~£20.

Reply to
Grunff

Try machine mart john, they have auto pressure switches available, but I suspect for this you will be looking at at least 20 quid, the there`s the second regulator to think about, a new quality unit may be your best bet.

John Woodhall

John / Grunff - thanks for the information.

I was w> Try machine mart john, they have auto pressure switches available, but I

the compressor components list. Described as "Pressure Switch - Single port For accurate, automatic compressor control. £18.74" - no photo alas - anyone got the dead tree version of the catalogue? Does it give any more info or piccies?

For 20 quid it would probably be worth it for the convenience - the secondary regulator is less of an issue, especially for things like the nail gun that is happy with anything from 40 to 100 psi.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup - and that's the fella. It's a black box. Comes in single phase (000320100) and 3 phase (000320106).

Reply to
Grunff

You can get real bargains on ebay, I got a 150 litre, 3 hp beast from ebay for only 120 quid. Old and tatty but works fine. E bay it and get yourself a new one. (You know you want to). ;-)

Reply to
John Woodhall

Well I know I want to! But then again I have a loft conversion to do so I expect there may be some other toy^Hools that need to be moved up the priority list first...

Anyone happen to know what size connectors are on that pressure switch by the way? (I have a feeling that buying one and working out how to glue it on afterwards might be the best way!)

Reply to
John Rumm

They look the same size on both my 7 litre tank with 1.5 hp motor and the

150 litre 3 hp beast, I presume as they are only for pressure control that the small black pipe which goes in is a universal size. This small black pipe is what takes the pressure to the switch, I suspect from what you said about your compressor that you will not have this, so unfortunately this is another cost which you may have to factor in.
Reply to
John Woodhall