Getting more from radiators

Hello R

I've always wondered about that. Presumably you also need a pgp, or gpg compatible newsreader that checks a message against its key. For those who don't, a simple cut and paste of the original posters' public key should be enough to pass muster against the casual reader?

Reply to
Simon Avery

Of course the other possibility is for him to post to uk.secure.d-i-y

(and leave us all alone)

Reply to
geoff

No, the "key" part of the message also contains information about the message itself. So the key from one message won't validate against any other message.

(I think, it's years since I even half played with PGP)

But if you think about it a little, if the cut 'n paste worked PGP would less use than a chocolate teapot.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hello Dave

Yeah, but ...

... to validate it. My news reader doesn't have such facility, so pgp sigs are merely more useless cruft to be downloaded. I'd need to save the message out and manually run pgp/gpg over it and I've never found the need to do that since PGP was first written.

Maybe it'd work if everyone's news reader was thus enabled, but even then the negatives outweigh the positives I think.

Daft suggestion to sign in a public newsgroup where pseudonyms and anonymous email addresses are common imo, but then, so much that's associated with Imm is daft...

Reply to
Simon Avery

How are the sheep?

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

Why, what have you been doing with them ... no don't answer that

Do they get custody of the lambs?

Reply to
geoff

Those are not "keys", but digital signatures. They are generated using the originators private key.

Reply to
Huge

Ah thats it, but apart from the incorrect term the rest is pretty close. The signature is a combination of the message body and private key, you can't take the signature from one message and copy it into another and expect it to validate.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Correct.

Reply to
Huge

"IMM" wrote

heh. didn't list admins go out with the "majordomo" ark ...

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Hello Zymurgy

I think you're confusing mailing lists with newsgroups. Entirely possible IMM's done the same.

Btw, Majordomo is alive and well and performing admirably.

Reply to
Simon Avery

Thats only true if you use pgp software to validate: if you dont, anything that looks vahuely right will be validated by your average human eyes and brain.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

(Simon Avery) wrote

No confusion whatsoever on my part.

This is possible

... but largely superseded by Newsgroups/NNTP, IRC & latterly blogs.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Not possible at all.

Reply to
IMM

[18 lines snipped]

Totally untrue, I'm afraid.

Mailing lists are alive, well and thriving. It's just that most of them are invisible to you. And Majordomo is widely used.

Reply to
Huge

This is true. There are quite a few private mailing lists - not everyone uses Yahoo lists and newsgroups. And majordomo works well for them.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hello Zymurgy

Hmm? But your post introduces "list admins" instead of "admins", implying that this was a list. At least to me, but no matter.

Um, no. Ng's and usenet are still a minority area, as is irc. Lists have their place (ie, a moderatable, private or semi-private collection of like-minded people). Egroups/yahoogroups or whatever they call themselves used to be incredibly popular until they overtipped the acceptable balance of spam/user abuse.

Thing is, since most of these lists are private, nobody can say how popular they are. Personally I'm on more lists than ng's.

No spam (outside the major free list providers), no trolls - there's a lot to be said for lists. OTOH, you're at the whim of the moderator/owner so both have their place.

Reply to
Simon Avery

That's right. You just nod or shake your head in time to the music.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What music? Punk Rock?

Reply to
IMM

I don't think it was "Set Square's" joke, as the headers show. But it was a very good joke nonetheless, and for a wonderfull moment I thought you had acquired a sense of humour.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison