Getting more from radiators

Page 1 of 3
Hi,
My current heating situation is that I have a single radiator in my lounge which has to heat both the lounge and dining room (open plan style). The problem is that due to space limitations, one of our sofas has to be placed in front of the radiator. I expect that this reduces the amount of heat getting into the room.
Is there any system i can get which will help the heat get out from behind the sofa; some kind of fan system or something that i can place underneath the radiator. Would replacing the radiator with a double radiator be benificial. The room(s) to heat together are about 3m x 7m
Thanks in advance
Mark
Mark Trueman wrote:

At one time fan assisted heaters were quite popular on CH systems but I haven't seen one in use for some years except kitchen plinth mounted ones.

If it isn't already top spec you can replace it with a double / treble / double with internal fins etc to increase its dissipation.
(and if you get desperate paint it with matt black paint for better emissivity !!!)
Andrew Mawson

Replacing with a double will increase the output of the radiator but having the sofa infront will still reduce the effectiveness of the radiator.
Just an idea... Tape some sheets of tin foil to the back of the sofa to help reflect the heat, some people put in foil behind the radiators so why not infront? It'll only cost a few pence to try and you never know!
Tony
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:03:32 -0000, "Mark Trueman"

Move the radiator to the centre of the room and lay it flat (it will still work, though perhaps not as effectively). It will also become a useful additional piece of furniture and help to start conversations during those deadly dull dinner parties.
--
IMM

IMM wrote:

LOL!
Set Square wrote:

A great coffee table, keeps it warm anyway. Or warm nibbles pre dinner party.
I would guess that your heat requirement is around 3kw/10kbtu for the combined lounge diner. That's rather a lot for a single panel, but more achievable with a 1600mm double.
--
Toby.

Do you always laugh at your own jokes?

I don't think it was "Set Square's" joke, as the headers show. But it was a very good joke nonetheless, and for a wonderfull moment I thought you had acquired a sense of humour.
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

I am the most humorous and funniest person in the world.

Yeah, right.

They're not laughing *with* you, you know.

Thank You.

IMM burbled fatuously:

And you always tell the truth as well.
My my!

I am also the most honest person in the world too.

How do we know? We are not in your house.

writes

--
geoff

I am the most literate person in the world.

IMM wrote:

Now its fairly obvious how to easily calculate the size of the world that IMM lives in. Bringing a whole new slant to the catchphrase 'its a small world innit?'