Getting front off a switch.

A boiler has a switch instead of a SFCU; it's tatty as hell and I'd like to replace it. The switch is a full-face rocker, with no screws visible. I suspect that the entire rocker might be removable, especially as there seems to be a little recess for a screwdriver blade at the back of the top edge. Before I destructively test this, am I on the right track?

Reply to
PeterC

Just pull the rocker off:-)

Reply to
ARW

There is a "off your rocker" joke lurking.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

or an instruction Mods have been following on Brighton seafront for years...

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what I thought, but only on the basis of fae being visible. I'll see what she says and give it a go (gulp!).

Reply to
PeterC

The one I saw seemed to be pushed through a plate and a kind ofslightly bent bit of plastic had been pushed up from the rear so the unbending tightened it. Nots these need to have this part and the front plate at least on the cable in the correct order before you connect it if its idc, wire wrap or soldered!

Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

They often have a plastic clippy thing behind like this:

It's much easier to defeat this from the reverse, but if you're replacing the switch it doesn't matter too much.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Ah no, it's not like that at all. I tried to post a link originally, but SF's site was down and TS didn't have one. It's a 1-gang patress with the entire front as the rocker, with no screws in view, a bit like this but the rocker, as I say, occupying the whole patress:

PeterC

I'm not sure how entire you mean by "entire front", but I found the following instructions for an IP54 waterproof outdoor switch from:

To remove the switch rocker(s) from the TPSL01, TPSL02 or TPSL03 and gain access to the front plate fixing screws carry out the following:- push the bottom of the rocker inwards then grip the top edge of the rocker and pull firmly to release the rocker catches (with double switches (TPSL02) treat each half separately as described above).

Reply to
Dave W

That's the sort of force I've tried applying but didn't want to try too hard until I'd got the replacement. It might get a good tug today.

Reply to
PeterC