Getting Dirty

Hi
When building, woodwork things tend to get grubby, and the wood needs to be kept completely clean on this project. Cleaning it afterwards has not been very successful in the past. What's the best way to keep it nice and clean? Washing hands every 20 minutes? Varnish before cutting?
Regards, NT

A coat of 50% varnish/meths. It depends on what you will be doing with it after though. You could cut it thinner if it is going to get only moderate handling. It's one of "those" types of questions I believe?

On 13 Nov 2003 10:25:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

A thin coat of sanding sealer can be usuful. I use a water based version. Easy clean up and fast drying.
It also make glue squeeze out/marks easily removed.
Paul Mc Cann
I wear vinyl disposable gloves when I sand, to avoid oils from my hands spoiling the freshly cleaned surfaces. Other than that, I really don't worry about it too much. Just be careful about sweat dripping out of the gloves on a hot day when raising your arms, spoiling a wet finish. DAMHIKT.
DAVE
N. Thornton wrote:

(N. Thornton) wrote:

Surfaced wood is clean, so if your hands are clean to begin with, they will stay that way unless you handle something that isn't clean. When you do, wash your hands before touching the wood. To keep from contaminating bare wood surfaces with skin oils, dust your hands occasionally with clean sawdust.

Unless it is going to be a long job, 'acquire' some of those nice free plastic gloves from your local petrol station and throw them away regularly.