getting away with dot & dab ?

On our new "Old" house the pre-victorian bathroom-extension type thing is having a much needed new toilet/sink etc.

Anyway. the construction of this area is a single-skin red brick with a red-mud type mortar. The original plaster literally dropped off all round so we need to replace the covering.

Space is very limited, so not enough space to batton/membrane/p.board

Should we be looking at just re-skimming the brick-work with conventional materials or could we get away with foil-backed p.board dot&dabbed to the block work?

there is no sign of any damp penetration as it stands.

The building _is_ grade II listed, but this is an emergency reovation as original (60's) bath,sink,toilet were all cracked. Plaster that fell off was not lime & hair like the rest of the property, just pink & powdery.

Any thoughts welcome

Pete.

Reply to
PeTe33

D&D isn't suitable for a single brick wall, neither is plaster really as it becomes soft and powdery as you have discovered...render is possbily the worst thing you could do and tiling is also a no-no, so you don't have many options left...the batten idea was your only real option but you say space is limited, although you would only lose about an inch and half more than you would with D&D,(tannalised 'roof' battens instead of 3X2) is space really that tight?

Reply to
Phil L

and the battens infilled with Celotex so the space used usefully.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Thanks Phil. Then that's really my only option then.

At least it won't interfere with the older construction materials. There are a few patches of cement render which I'm not going to attempt to remove.

Here's a pic. of the bathroom as it was

green on the window wall and the wall on the left are what's now removed. Bottom left by the sink is the House wall 18" stone/rubble so a big pillar whick makes one side of the doorway. the bath is level with the R/H side of doorway.

It's also not noticeable but the L/H wall runs in towards the door end so front of pan is much closer to the wall than the cistern end.

I'll re-asses this w/end to see what we can get away with.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

Why?

You could attach insulted plasterboard to prevent condensation / keep the room warmer on that single brick wall. You could use dot and dab, I can see no reason not to.

Reply to
funtwo

Because it will get damp

Adhesive will absorb water through the brick and into the PB, try it on a

4in wall if you don't believe me - it never really dries out.
Reply to
Phil L

If he has a penetrating damp problem maybe, otherwise he'll be alright. His biggest risk of damp is from condensation in a bathroom with a half brick thick wall, insulation should prevent that.

Reply to
funtwo

Isn't there a foam backed plasterboard? That might be the best compromise..simply screwed into the brick?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's what I'd do, with the d&d as a bit of a leveller maybe. Doesn't save space over the batten idea but less work, and better insulation

Reply to
Stuart Noble