Getting A Boiler Condemned ...( not something you can diy)

I was talking today to a rep from the Warmer Homes scheme which operates over the U.K. about getting Insulation etc which is available to over 60's and over 80's who are in receipt of certain benefits . We got talking about Central Heating and there is a scheme that runs alongside the Insulation Scheme whereby CH can be installed free of charge if the householder has none or if the current CH is beyond repair .My CH boiler is over 21 years old and altho' some spares are available as I found a few months ago when I had to replace the Heat Exchanger gaskets when it started leaking the boiler is classed as " 65% efficient" and really needs replacing as it is costing me a fortune in gas compared to modern boilers .It also is conected to a Primatic cylinder and the domestic HW is absolutely roasting when the CH has been on for any length of time .

What he said was to wait a while ( summer time ) and get someone to look at the boiler and hopefully they would condemn it as being beyond repair or unsafe and label it as such and cap off the gas suply ( I have a gas fire,immerser and electric shower) and then apply again ..

Reading the new FAQ it seems that getting this done shouldn't be too much trouble with installers being too keen to say a boiler needs replacing . Is British Gas my best bet to get this done when I choose to do it ..

Any thoughts those of you familiar in this territory

Stuart .

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

As immoral as your intentions are, call TRANSCO on 0800111999 and tell them you can smell fumes and you're getting a headache - TRANSCO will turn off and label a gas appliance at the drop of a hat, although they will then recommend you pay for a CORGI engineer to inspect the installation properly, as they most probably won't find anything untoward.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

How sad, here you are with CH already installed and it just takes a few parts to get the boiler back to 90% efficient and there are one parent familys out there wanting this CH system from the grant fund but have to wait till there is sufficent funds to cover this again.

What you're asking is immoral and I condem the rep for advocating this.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Excatly how do I get a Ch boiler classed as 65% to 90% then ...

This fund is NOT avalialable to One Parent Familes anyway unles they fulfil the reqts ( being over 60etc ).. .

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Stuart wrote: [snip]

It's called EAGA in this locality. Doesn't matter what its called in different localitys they are all part of the same funding.

If you have a child under 16 and hold a matB1 and recieve any of these...income support,housing benifit,council tax benifit.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ah....Those categories are only included in the English Scheme ..

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

I'll start worrying about being immoral whem M.P's,M.S.P.s and Local Councillors decide to jump off the gravy train that so many of them seem to be on ....Double jobs,best pension scheme going ( and no sign of IT being wound up is there ) referring to MP's here ...., taxi etc expenses to here, there and everywhere ( i'm referring to MSP's here )......did you read the revelations about their expenses recently ....an eye opener that was ..

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Word of warning - if its working when they come to check out the property - even if it fails the next day, you CANNOT REAPPLY for FOUR YEARS.

My mother-in-law was without any heating or hot water for over 6 months because of this part of the T&Cs of the funding for this scheme. We took this via her MP who said that`s the way it works, and there`s nothing they could do in the circumstances.

As it was, her warm-air unit would trip after one cycle, and the only way she could get it going again would be to switch off the supply to the whole house for a while. The wiring to the unit was also unsafe, but it was still passed as working by them.

If they`re coming out, make sure its "permanently" knackered - hobble it a couple of days prior to cool the house down for added effect. When they confirm its stuffed, it can still take 6 months to get a new one installed - revert whatever you did to get it operational again in the meantime...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Please tell?

Reply to
John Rumm

You've posted your criminal intentions on a public ng. The headers trace your identity. You may be prosecuted, or else will wreck your boiler only to find out you no longer qualify, or that it can indeed be repaired... for several hundred pounds.

Or you'll get the grant, freeze half the winter, get the haeting in the end, then discover that although the gas consumption is lower, the maintenance and early replacement costs of the nweer boiler outstrip the gas savings by a factor of 10.

You can improve the existing boiler's efficiency simply by turning down the water temperature thermostat on the boiler, but it will never reach

90%.

NT

Reply to
meow2222