German style toilet pans in the UK

Friend of mine wants to install a German-style toilet pan (and probably cistern too), the sort with a "shelf". A commercial plumber will be installing it, not DIY

Anyone know of a UK source for these?

Any installation problems likely? I'm assuming they're generally just the same as a UK pan.

Thanks

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try here:

DocDice

Wickes basic bathroom suite used to contain one of these. Don't know whether it still does or if they've changed suppliers. I think the same bits were available separately (but obvioulsy more expensive individually). Quality was fine - not obvioulsy inferior to more expensive options. No problem to fit - same as any other.

Aldi do toilets too, from time to time. Might they be sourced from Germany?

Not sure what the German fascination with having your turd sitting there grinning back at you is, though.

Reply to
mike

Checking for worms.

Reply to
Huge

And stinking the place out. Its why they invented the Water Closet. Mind you pretty soon a government goon will be round to check the lonely stool for it's five-a-day content. And premature flusing will result in a fine.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The purpose of the shelf is...?

Reply to
Geo

Absolutely no need to post that cr*p here ...

Grow up :-(

Reply to
Adrian C

Some may be designed for mains-pressure flushing, and/or may not meet the water regulations

dom

Originally? German fondness for parasite-infested wursts, AFAIK, and a need to check afterwards

In this case? Haven't a clue. Weird European with a findness for home plumbing

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Dutch, many of whom regard Aberdonians as wanton spendthrifts, use them to check for any coins they might have accidentally swallowed. :-)

Reply to
Peter Twydell

No change there, then.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you have a family history of bowel cancer, checking for blood in the stool is recommended,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

I lived with one of these shelf loos for years when I was a guestworker in the Fed Republic. The idea is that they make it easy to inspect your poo for worms, blood etc. I never inspected mine. I find the concept, while sensible, quite unpleasant. I'd rather just take a small smear in a specimen bottle to the doctor if any medical problem is suspected. But the Germans are ~very~ conscious of their health!

MM

Reply to
MM

Though I never used them to examine my stools what I like about them is you never get splash back.

Reply to
Broadback

Disgusting!!

And probably very illegal to post that image. expect a knock at your door by the police with a warrant to take away your pc for further inspection. ASSHOLE

Which was a risk for them because they like to eat their pork cooked rare, unlike the Brits who like it cooked solid like cast iron.

However I'm not so sure it is still the case now that pig meat is produced industrially as opposed to on mom and pop farms with four or five pigs.

I imagine the EU have issued a directive about worms in pork and that's the end of it (the problem, not the worm).

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "..." saying something like:

Don't talk s**te.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Last time I went to Center Parcs the toilets were like that, dunno where they came from though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was told that it was because they ate so much ersatz stuff that they had to check for worms and other bowel problems

Reply to
soup

They have seen sense and are chucking them as they refurbish.

Reply to
dennis