German Kitchen Appliance to UK - 3200w 16a

Hello Everyone,

I am about to purchase one of these:

both come with a standard german plug fitting. The smaller model (A2000) is 10-16amp, 2200w, so would appear to be fine to replace with a 13amp plug and connect to any socket in my house.

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too much for standard UK wiring.

As you can probably tell, I know very little about all this so would appreciate some advice. The link above has some power rating information in it, ok it's in german, but hopefully someone will be able to advise...

thanks in advance. dan.

Reply to
citydweller99

On 11 Jul 2006 05:17:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com had this to say:

For the larger model, you'd do best to install a separate radial 20A circuit from the CU with a socket to match the appliance.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It will need to be fitted to a dedicated 16A circuit from the consumer unit. It could either be hard wired, with the plug cut off, or you could fit a 16A Schuko outlet.

You probably shouldn't wire it up to a ring circuit. This is because (a) it would not be protected at 16A like it expects and (b) it could easily unbalance the ring circuit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle" writed in news:44b39c86$0$15871$ snipped-for-privacy@read.news.uk.uu.net:

Is this permitted under the new (?part P?) regulations?

Reply to
Mike the Unshavable

Not explicitly. However, it probably comes under EU Common Market regulations. You can certainly wire up a house to a different EU country's wiring regulations. Whether you are officially permitted to mix and match, I don't know!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I noticed that the Huff Haus at London's ExCel 'Grand Design Show' had electrical outlets that seemed to be a non-standard 'british' design. The 'boxes' weren't the normal square size although the three pins/sockets were appropriate sized. None of the outlets I observed seemd to be switched outlets. Having no intention of acquiring a Huff Haus - I'd never considered the question;- to what country's wiring regulations are such structures fabricated?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Does that mean I can choose to do my wiring by Irish rules?

Reply to
Guy King

Basically, yes. It doesn't mean you can follow Irish practices, though!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Oh bum, I knew there's be a catch.

Reply to
Guy King

On 11 Jul 2006 05:17:35 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this:-

Do you want to move it around? If so, where do you want to move it between?

If you want to move it around then the way to do this would be with dedicated circuit(s). The socket(s) could be a 16A Schuko or BS4343. If only one appliance is going to be plugged in then multiple sockets could be wired radially. With the Schuko you would need a

16A MCB, with the other you might be able to convince yourself that a 20A fuse or MCB is an appropriate protective device.

If you don't want to move it around you could wire it to a fixed outlet. Ideally this would still be via a dedicated circuit. However, if you have a suitable ring circuit then you might be able to convince yourself that it can be wired to that, protected by a local 16A MCB. Suitable would certainly include that the ring is not already heavily loaded.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hmmm.........

What is this thing exactly?

It looks a bit like a portable hob/griddle with 2 separate heatng zones.

My feeling would be that the 3200W is the maximum it could possibly draw flat out. In practice, this isn't going to happen.

I suspect that if you cut off the plug and fitted a good quality 13A plug with 13A fuse, and used it only on lightly loaded circuits, you wouldn't have any problems.

Though if it is only going to be used in one location, then I would be tempted to go for either a dedicated 13A socket on it's own circuit, or preferably a fused connection unit.

Not saying you should do it this way, but I think it would be fine.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Yup.

"ca. 0,8kW bei 200° im Leerlauf" means 800W at 200 °C at idle, i.e. no food on it. Put a large block of ice, or a kettle of cold water etc. on each heating zone set to 250°, and the maximum draw will be 3200 W. Might be that for a short time if one cranked up both thermostats to maximum opn a cold griddle.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thanks Everyone!

I think you've all pretty much summed up what I suspected, i.e. that this will probably work fine with a 13a plug, but to do it properly/safely I should have a dedicated circuit, 16a plug/socket etc.

I might just go for the smaller model which is definitely OK for 13a, although this will no doubt limit my culinary horizons....

Dan.

Reply to
citydweller99

it's a portable Teppan Yaki grill, like they have in Japanese restaurants where the chef cooks the food in front of you and generally ponces about with it.

indeed.

it is tempting...!

Dan.

Reply to
citydweller99

If it did get to 3200w on a 13a plug/circuit, even for a short time, what would be the worst thing that could happen?

I would plug this in in my kitchen, where the cooker is gas, and the only other appliances are a dishwasher and kettle.

thanks, Dan.

Reply to
citydweller99

It used to be standard practice in Britain to put 15A appliances on 13A plugs. We were using such things in the 80s, and there are still a number in use today. It came about because round pin plugs used to be

15A rated, but the more modern square pin system is 13A rated. In practice it isnt a problem, as long as you dont use a ropey quality plug.

However since this isnt compliant with todays rules and regulations, its verboten for you to do it. Instead you must pull out your plaster and install a new feed for it.

BTW, plugs are rated 13A continuous, so although they arent rated 13.5A intermittent they would certainly have no problem at all doing it. (Assuming of course we're not talking about faulty plugs.)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The /worst/ thing...?

I suppose if you happen to have a small nuclear experiment in progress in the understairs cupboard when the house goes on fire and there just happens to be a couple of petrol tankers parked in the front drive at the same time, things could get a bit messy.

You'd catch hell from the missus if the ornament which was a wedding present from the m-i-l had suffered smoke damage.

Of course, if you happen to live next door to NT such minor mishaps are probably a daily occurrence in the neighbourhood.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 12 Jul 2006 07:57:41 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this:-

What matters is what circuit feeds the kitchen sockets and what is connected to that circuit? What currents do the dishwasher and kettle draw? How often are they used?

Reply to
David Hansen

why would anything happen?

This is one of those loss of perspective situations.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or Spanish!!!!!