Gen-X - anyone heard of it?

Hi,

Was talking to some guys doing a loft conversion up the road today.

The chief bloke was expounding on the virtues of a product called Gen-X insulation:

looks like a blanket made of foil with some white fluffy wool stuff (looked like spun recycled plastic) inside

Interestingly, it's mentioned here:

commonly being used in conjunction with celotex (and they did have lots of 50mm Celotex on site).

I'm just wondering what the angle is with this stuff? If they were using celotex, why mix in something else as well?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Possibly as a top-up

There was a certain amount of controversy over the effectiveness of multi foil insulation a few years back. Basically one manufacturer had their product tested by TRADA who got results that seemed to be too good to be true

sure what the current position is.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Interesting... It "prevents the roof space from overheating by reflecting the electromagnetic radiation from the Sun"... Is this something we should be protecting ourselves from? :-)

Reply to
John Weston

Virtually all the Suns energy arrives as electromagnetic radiation. You need protection against some of it, not by this stuff.

Reply to
dennis