Gazebo roofing ideas

We have a small quadrant shaped gazebo in the corner of the garden.

The previous owners used some plastic perforated sheeting ( maybe greenhouse shading ) stapled over the roof bearers to provide gentle shade, but the combined effects of weathering and being stomped upon by a rather portly cat have combined to make some large holes in it and it now needs replacing.

What sort of material would readers suggest we use instead ?

We're sort of inclined to use rolls of reed screening, but wonder about how long it might last if used in that way.

The bearers are about 8 feet long, pretty well all touching at the one end and fanning out so that the seven of them are a maximum of 2 feet apart at the other end. They are horizontal.

Reply to
Roly

I used cedar shakes for a garden building that I constructed last year. You can get details from

are installed in a similar way to slates but you can easily cut and shape to follow an unusual profile.

is one source of supply in the UK. You can either lay them to a stright line at the bottom or to a more random arrangement as in the photo.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reed thatch lasts around 50 years. Maybe you could add a cover at the peak to protect the upmost reed ends. I'm guessing whole reeds would fare much better than halved reed.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I love the look of those cedar shakes and have kept details on file in case I can use them elsewhere, but for the gazebo, we're looking for something that isn't a solid roof - just some light shading, so a perforated or slatted material is what's needed. It also needs to look right when fitted on a quadrant shaped flat roof.

We're sure there must be an excellent idea, but can't come up with anything better than the reed screen stuff on rather flimsy looking rolls.

Reply to
Roly