Gate Openers

Hi chaps,

does anyone on here have any experience with electric swing gate openers? Can you recommend an opener that opens quickly, i.e. 5-6 seconds?

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

That would be dangerous.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

With proper presence detection, not really, but you'll knock the bollox out of the operator. Although intended for pedestrian doors, BS7036 has guidelines. Weight is also a deciding factor. There's a lot of energy in a large fast moving door/gate.

Reply to
Jim White

Not only would that be dangerous, but very power hungry I'd suggest. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

i've always wondered why the sliding electric gates are so slow (motor driving a pinion engaging in a rack, so different to the rams used to operate swing gates) someone had one installed across his drive that had about a foot of verge before the road, it must take 30 seconds to open enough for him to drive his car through,

So of course for that time he is sat blocking the road waiting and feeling a right prick (he admitted this, firm that fitted it claims it can't be speeded up due to laws regarding how fast they open, but this one does seem particularly slow)

would be faster to get out the car and manually slide it back.... or fit a long range remote so he can set it opening when he is half a mile away,

Reply to
Gazz

Probably illegal. These kind of devices have to be very short range.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Use IP from a mobile phone, and a USB relay!

Reply to
Bob Eager

He could always buy from a supplier who is not bound by the EU regulations on automatic gate safety:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

It strikes me that this is only permitted (if indeed it is) because there was an earlier gate there. AIUI, any new vehicle gate requires sufficient setback from the road to get planning permission, specifically so that this kind of situation doesn't happen.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

How secure are these opening mechanisms? I'm wondering how much they would resist a couple of scallywags climbing over the top of the gate and either getting out a crowbar or figuring out how to activate whatever emergency manual opening method they have.

In my mind is whether this would be secure enough to deter/prevent somebody from nicking oil or even an unlocked and unattended car warming up on your drive.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

True, I had to allow five meters between gate and edge of road. Gate to open inward.

Reply to
harryagain

There used to be a driving instructor that lived down the road from my parents who would reverse out of his drive and leave the car there while he went and shut the gates. He did this until the day a police car came around the bend in the dark and nearly hit his car. Some people are just stupid.

Reply to
dennis

At a riding school where my daughter goes - the gates are slow - And they drag on the dround and the pivots are rusty. If I had a power operated gate then I think I would try and use proper bearings

Reply to
DerbyBorn