gate latch

Anyone care to recommend a grandchild resistant garden gate latch?

Ideally something that can be easily used when they are not here!

Gate inward opening and 4'0" high.

I suppose a conventional *slam* catch on the inside coupled with a reach over bolt outside might do.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

But how tall are the grandchildren?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

One would hope that by the time grandchild is able to sus out and operate a reach over bolt they are old enough to know they shouldn't...

Would a padlock through the holes of the auto gate catch be out of the question?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It seems to be a general rule that the only people who can open child proof things are children.

Fit a padlock, which you can remove completely when the grandchildren are not about. If that is likely to cause problems for visitors, fit a wireless doorbell at the gate.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

ER.. Don't know! At 2.5 and 1.0 not very:-)

By the time they can reach over a 4' gate they'll be able to escape by other routes. Farms are not very safe for children not under close supervision.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No and certainly in the plan. However, this is the route that the trousered lady uses to reach the garage.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not a route for visitors but inconvenient for residents. I was wondering if there was something more sophisticated than an exterior bolt.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Er you have a tranny renting a garage?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

A modern 3 way karabiner can be undone one handed if you have the knack but a small child may not have the finger force necessary.

Reply to
news

Shirley the grandmother would also be keen on keeping her grandchildren safe. Some one mentioned caribenas, perhaps a screw lock one? Adults should be able to finger tighten it enough to stop little fingers getting it undone, not as reliable as a padlock though... In the abscence of any other ideas the reach over bolt still seems the simplest solution.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk writes

Umm.. I'm trying to avoid anything tedious.

A heavy *field gate* drop over loop would probably hold them for a couple of years but is not lockable.

I think I'll go with the internal padlockable slam latch with external

*reach over* bolt for the day or so in the month when they are here.
Reply to
Tim Lamb