Gate

I have a very big and very heavy solid wooden garden gate. It takes two people to lift it and is a credit to the man who constructed it for me. It is 12 months old and I am going to give it another lick of varnish. Not that it needs it but why not? A certain d*****ad has said that ordinary fence paint at £2.50 for a big tub will do the job as good as a decent can of varnish.

What does the panel think?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If its worth looking after, then Sadolin.

Reply to
John Rumm

Fine for pressure treated timber but NBG if already coated with varnish.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do you take advice from dickheads?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Only in bed.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Tim,

I second John Rumm on that.

As a matter of interest, I've used Sadolin for more years than I can remember on various outside jobs (including those previously varnished) and never had a problem with it lasting its expected 5 year life - and that's why I'm prepared to pay the £30 odd quid a tin for it.

This thread has just reminded me that my old 6' x 4' shed needs a new coat of the stuff seven years after the last coats - must go to Rabart's decorators merchants on Monday for some, and then get SWMBO on the job painting it whilst it's fine and sunny.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

In message , Cash

Reply to
Tim Lamb

:

needed turps to remove?

Oh for Guinness sake.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I'd never use paint of varnish outside. Far better IMO are the products that soak into the timber rather than form a surface coating.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It was not advice, it was the opinion of a d*****ad.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder previously painted his car with HOUSEHOLD GLOSS PAINT.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Watch your back next week Sir, I will be in the North of England.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Watch your back next week Sir, I will be in the North of England.

Where?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Mr Pounder previously painted his car with HOUSEHOLD GLOSS PAINT.

30 years ago I did paint a Mk 3 Cortina with gloss paint. I used a roller and it looked very good indeed. Them were the days....
Reply to
Mr Pounder

Varnish is worse than useless in this instance. It has a habit of blistering in the sun, then when it rains, these blisters fill up with water, leaving black marks all over the timber and at the worst, starting off the rotting process.

If it were mine, I'd sand off the old varnish and give it a few coats of either sikkens or sadolin, sikkens is best for preventing sun damage, which believe it or not is the prime cause of initial timber decay in the UK.

Reply to
Phil L

OK So do you believe the opinions of a dickead?:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The Peak District.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I suppose on a Cortina.....

ROFL! Spellchecker said that should have said "concertina".

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

The Peak District.

Stay there. There is f*ck all there.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I suppose on a Cortina.....

ROFL! Spellchecker said that should have said "concertina".

Not on my spellchecker.

Mr Pounder