Gas Valve on Mains Water - OK?

Hi all

Will a 15mm lever actuated ball valve (compression ends), sold for use on gas, be OK on mains water? I specifically want a lever operated valve rather than slotted service valve in this case and have one to hand.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Are you thinking of this as your main stopcock?

Mains water valves must work at much higher pressures and may be prone to scale or crud accumulation over the years, and slow erosion as gritty particles pass through.

I think I've seen high quality ball valves that are suited to water/ gases/liquids at pressure (RS stock them - $$$) - but I'm not sure a basic valve intended for natural gas would be suitable.

OTOH - if it's a temporary/non-critical application and you have a proper stopcock in series (so the ball valve is just a convenience, and leaks or sudden failure open or closed isn't a big issue) - you could simply give it a try.

Reply to
dom

Seems not so expensive:

dom

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That one is 1/2" threaded. This one is cheaper and has compression ends.

Reply to
<me9

Any limescale in the water will line the bore and after a time you will not be able to rotate the ball that acts as a shut off due to the scale having bridge the slight gap around the ball. Happens many times with ball valves. Real PITA are the ones with plastic handles usually used on Washing Machine inlets. Placcy handle breaks and very little left to get hold of.

Reply to
Merryterry

|!On 5 May, 09:08, "thescullster" wrote: |!> Hi all |!>

|!> Will a 15mm lever actuated ball valve (compression ends), sold for use on |!> gas, be OK on mains water? |!> I specifically want a lever operated valve rather than slotted service valve |!> in this case and have one to hand. |!>

|!> TIA |!>

|!> Phil |! |!Any limescale in the water will line the bore and after a time you |!will not be able to rotate the ball that acts as a shut off due to the |!scale having bridge the slight gap around the ball. Happens many times |!with ball valves. Real PITA are the ones with plastic handles usually |!used on Washing Machine inlets. Placcy handle breaks and very little |!left to get hold of.

Only if you are cursed with Hard water. Simple cure move to a soft water area ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The type with a handle that are approved for gas are also approved for LPG, Oil, Air and Water.

The type which have a disc of metal about the size of you thumb which turns a metal cone would likely fail and are likely contravene the water regs.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have a lever operated valve like this on my incoming mains and not had any issues despite being in a very hard water area. This was put in by me about

6 years ago when fiddling with the plumbing under the sink. The original mains stop c*ck is now beneath the cupboards (remove pinth to get access) and a 15mm pipe passes into cupboard where the lever valve is located. Revently removed when kitchen wsa redone and no sign of scale on valve.
Reply to
Ian_m