Gas Tumble Dryers

I'm thinking of buying a gas tumble dryer but finding it a bit difficult to get a CORGI guy to install it, apparently it's a different module and the cost doesn't justify the small amount of work it gets them.

Does anyone know how these connect to the gas supply, ie is it just a bayonet type thing the same as a gas cooker. If so would it be easy enough to get a guy to install the gas connector to my pipework and just plug it in (after installing the flue and vents).

TIA

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

yep dead easy. if you can plumb copper pipes competentantly, you can do a gas pipe. I did mine a couple of weeks ago. I just taped into the existing gas pipe going to the ch boiler and fitted a elbow-

a standard flex gas pipe sealed up with-
to the white knight gas dryer...I will never go back to electric now. btw, it don't need a separate flu...it uses the standard vent pipe.

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

Hum -- my recollection of the gas regs is that applances which need external flues are forbidden from being connected with flexible couplings to the gas supply (so there's no chance you can operate them out of position when the flue isn't connected up).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

btw,

I wanted a gas tumble dryer in my garage but I was told that I could not fit one there, because of petrol fumes, if I kept my car in the garage . I bought a new electric one which lives quite happily in my garage but I was wondering if what I was told was correct. Ron

Reply to
Ronald

In article , R P McMurphey writes

Any idea where I can get some tech info in these, max outlet/flue length + other install info? Can't find a site for White Knight, all I get are 100 sites linking back to Kelkoo

Reply to
fred

btw,

R P McMurphey

btw,

max flue/air discharge length for a high speed model 447 is 5 metres

Steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

In article , R P McMurphey writes

Thanks for that & the link, I am right on the limit & will have a chat with them.

Reply to
fred

Very interesting, I'm planning on putting in a tumble dryer and I hadn't thought about gas.

Mine would be in a cellar which is due to become the utility room. Being underground there's no external wall. I was planning to vent the electric one overhead through a 'laticework' metal lid that fits over the coal hole by the front door. This would involve some sort of Heath Robinson device to give an airtight seal between the dryer's ducting and the coal hole lid. Anyone have any opinions on whether it would be safe to vent a gas one in this way - could I poison callers (this might be an advantage in some cases)? Any other problems with sticking it in the cellar?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I like many registered fitters have simply not bothered with getting certification for Tumble Dryers, BBQs or Warm Air heating or Boats, principally on cost grounds. If I wanted to fit one myself I would simply try to get hold of the installer instructions and make sure that I had read it completely.

I suspect that subject to the flueing arrangements the basement location of the dryer is fine UNLESS it is an LPG unit.

Much of the skills for fitting one would be generic - the poster who simply broke into the gas main - would of course have followed the correct procedure for soundness testing and purging of air from the pipes afterwards.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ever heard of condensing dryers?!?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah ..the ones that imstead of venting mositure into the outside, deposit it in a tray the requires emptying every ten minutes.

Or more usually, on the floor...great advance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Both of the ones I've have never dumped water on the floor. In fact, they came with kits to connect into the drainage system. I can see this could be problematic with a cellar, though. When not using the kits, you can use them about 3-4 times before they get full.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

S'all right. I was only teasing....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"Christian McArdle" wrote | > Ah ..the ones that imstead of venting mositure into the outside, | > deposit it in a tray the requires emptying every ten minutes. | > Or more usually, on the floor...great advance. | Both of the ones I've have never dumped water on the floor. In fact, | they came with kits to connect into the drainage system. I can see | this could be problematic with a cellar, though. When not using the | kits, you can use them about 3-4 times before they get full.

A sump with a float valve to turn off the dryer when it fills, and a pump to empty, should be workable. Or even one of those S***flo type devices, unless there are clothes fibres in the condensate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Indeed, but sometimes its as easy to run some 4" pipe instead, and take the hot wet air away...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the dryer's fan is capable of using that much ducting. It isn't easy shifting that much air through metres of ducting and elbows. It needs a lot of pressure and a centrifugal fan. It is less energy efficient too, as you lose lots of heated air into the atmosphere, rather than recycle it into the machine (and surrounding room).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi, We had one fitted, but I made the mistake of assuming it would be o.k. to tap into the gas pipe going to the boiler (in the same room as the tumble dryer). The gas man said we'd need to run a new pipe from the meter - cost £120 (that was the cheapest quote). (The boiler gas pipe is 15 mm.) There's no requirement for a flue - just a standard tumble dryer outlet. But the room does need to be above a certain volume, so since we were putting it in a utility room, we just took the door off for a week until it was fitted........ You should open the window when it's tumbling anyway. Tony.

Reply to
Tony Mudd

Andy,

I have 30 commercial gas tumble driers each of 95,000 bthu/h spread over three shops. Each are fed by 1/2" black iron pipe off a 2" manifold running over the driers, and in one shop they are connected via a flexible armoured pipe with a q/d knuckle joint (rather than bayonet) for maintenance purposes.

Domestic ones must be dramatically smaller gas consumption so I don't expect that you'd have any problems with a 1/2" bayonet & rubber flexy like a cooker.

ps anyone want to swap gas bills !!!!!!

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

i instaled a permanent vent 10cm by 10cm on gas mans advice....saves opening windows...it is in a larder so it is always supplied with plently of air this way and the door dosnt have to be left open.

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey