Gas Torches

Page 2 of 2

Some essential features:
1. F*cking big (especially if you're doing more than 15mm) 2. Push ignition.
Something like a Bernzomatic TS2000T. Easily obtainable from B&Q Warehouse, amongst others. Ignore the small Go-Gas/Taymar type things which give a broad cool flame for paint stripping, rather than a hot localised flame required for plumbing.
http://www.bernzomatic.com/catal2.htm#TS2000T
Christian.

I take it that you are thinking of doing only a few small jobs at the most? I managed perfectly well for a very long time using Taymar, Coleman, Camping Gaz and Parasene torches.
The Taymar, Coleman and Parasene use the screw-in type of cartridge, the Camping Gaz uses the standard blue "bomb" type cartridge as used in small camping stoves.
All of them are adequate for fittings up to 28mm and I have also used one of these torches for wiped joints on 4 inch copper guttering.
I now have a couple of Bernzomatic torches which are "better" in that they have smaller heads but produce enough heat for even very large jobs. But they aren't, no matter what has been said here, essential.
TBH if as I suspect you're going to do a few jobs and that's it then I would go for the Coleman or the Camping Gaz. Shop around and you get Camping Gaz blowlamps for under a fiver.
snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote in
I'm glad I didn't ask for advice - I'd be thoroughly confused.
I just went to B&Q on wrinklies day and got a nice one with screw in canister and spark ignition.
It's been fine up to 22mm, and does it so easily I can't see 28 being all that hard
mike r
mike ring said

I'm saying nothing...

I went into B&Q on the way home today. Start at 10 and go up from there.
The advice here is all good - just a pity most of it doesn't really apply to my particular question and situation. I looked up the price of one of the suggested items and it was 59.99 - for that money I might just as well get a plumber in!
But that is Usenet for you - not complaining, the jems make it all worthwhile. :-)
--
God Himself, sir, does not propose to judge a man until his life
is over. Why should you and I? - Samuel Johnson -
Freda wrote:

The point is that the cheapo ones will work, but if you have any 22mm to do they will work *only just*.
--
Grunff

I used my Camping Gaz one recently on 22mm with lead free solder. No problems, although it did, I reckon, take slightly longer than with the old lead stuff. But then any type would, if it melts at a higher temp.
--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

<cough>ollocks.
Steve Firth wrote:
>>The point is that the cheapo ones will work, but if you have any 22mm to

Hey look, I'm just telling it like I found it. My first torch (a Taymar) was terrible for soldering - always took ages, and I was never really happy with the way the solder flowed.
I subsequently bought a Rothenburger which is infinitely better - I reckon it must chuck out 2-3 times the power, and the flame must be a good few hundred C hotter. The pipes heat up really quickly, and the solder flows like it should.
--
Grunff

I doubt your "few hundred C hotter" claim. If that was the case you'd be looking at a pool of copper on the floor rather than solder flowing (the solder will have attached itself to the metal ceiling light, having evaporated under duress).
The major difference will be in the amount of heat the gun can deliver to the work in a given time, it's a bit like comparing a 15mm pipe to a 22mm - which one allows more water to flow?
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

I've got one, but I javen't been able to get the gas cylinders for years. To the extent I bought a replacement one.