Gas Torches

mike ring said

I'm saying nothing...

I went into B&Q on the way home today. Start at £10 and go up from there.

The advice here is all good - just a pity most of it doesn't really apply to my particular question and situation. I looked up the price of one of the suggested items and it was £59.99 - for that money I might just as well get a plumber in!

But that is Usenet for you - not complaining, the jems make it all worthwhile. :-)

Reply to
Freda

The point is that the cheapo ones will work, but if you have any 22mm to do they will work *only just*.

Reply to
Grunff

Agreed (as another Berzomatic user :-)

The £10 kit from B&Q with a bottle and a simple nozzle is very good vfm. If you're doing lots of soldering, a fair amount of 22mm or practically any

28mm stuff the piezo ignition version at about £25 is worth going for. Apart from the spark ignition the flame puts a lot more heat into the job - essential for soldering the bigger fittings.

The Wickes £25 piezo ignition kit also seemed OK to me though I only fired it up and waved the flame around, and didn't use it in anger.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I used my Camping Gaz one recently on 22mm with lead free solder. No problems, although it did, I reckon, take slightly longer than with the old lead stuff. But then any type would, if it melts at a higher temp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I've got one, but I javen't been able to get the gas cylinders for years. To the extent I bought a replacement one.

Reply to
Huge

ollocks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hey look, I'm just telling it like I found it. My first torch (a Taymar) was terrible for soldering - always took ages, and I was never really happy with the way the solder flowed.

I subsequently bought a Rothenburger which is infinitely better - I reckon it must chuck out 2-3 times the power, and the flame must be a good few hundred C hotter. The pipes heat up really quickly, and the solder flows like it should.

Reply to
Grunff

I doubt your "few hundred C hotter" claim. If that was the case you'd be looking at a pool of copper on the floor rather than solder flowing (the solder will have attached itself to the metal ceiling light, having evaporated under duress).

The major difference will be in the amount of heat the gun can deliver to the work in a given time, it's a bit like comparing a 15mm pipe to a 22mm - which one allows more water to flow?

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Actually I asked the spotty-herbert-in-command firstly if I could look at one (they keep them locked away with the high value easily nickable stuff) and then if I could have a go: "as long as I don't see you"

Reply to
John Stumbles

Bizarrely, I've just had to go out and buy a new gas torch, since the pathetic Focus one I had wouldn't solder a 22mm joint. Bought a Taymer "High Power" one, yet to see if it works as advertised - the flame's certainly very impressive.

Irritatingly, they [Homebase] also had gas for the Camping Gaz [*] torches, although I cannot now find mine. I suspect I threw it away because I was unable to get the gas...

(* Who, BTW, make the Taymar stuff anyway.)

Reply to
Huge