Gas Torches

Page 1 of 2
I need to do a plumbing repair and will be replacing a soldered fitting.
Can anyone recommend a soldering gas torch?
Maplin do a few - a "kit" for 30, a "micro" torch for 10 and a "microjet" torch for 10.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
--
It works better if you plug it in.
- Sattinger's Law -
Freda wrote:

The micro torches will be of no use whatsoever for plumbing. You will need a bigger torch, such as the Taymar range as sold in B&Q etc.
Having said that, I must admit that I never had any luck with those on 22mm; the only thing that's ever worked for me reliably is my Rothenburger (any plumber's merchant).
--
Grunff

I bought one of those when I couldn't get a spare canister for my Camping Gaz one, and although it worked ok, it leaked an entire canister over the period of a few days.

My all in one Camping Gaz one is ok for 28mm. But if I was doing a lot of this I'd get one with a separate cylinder.
--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Grunff wrote:

I agree with the above and also with this torch test:-
http://www.fmb.org.uk/publications/masterbuilder/april03/26.asp
Buy the best Rothenberger Super Fire 2
Nick

I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will definitely go for the Rothenburger! :-)
Now I ask myself, do I truly trust this review!
Regards, BraileTrail

A bit bizarre that no Bernzomatics were tested either, given that they could well be the most commonly found in practice.
Christian.
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:49:17 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

what I've got, then the Rothenberger. Bernzomatic is not quite so common if you look at what th pros use. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

I've usually seen Bernzomatic. However, I've only seen a few, so I doubt my experience is statistically significant.
Christian.

Aren't these all a bit expensive - and rather large to store - for a one off job? I suppose they might be worth it if you're going to burn off a lot of paint as well, but despite being a tool junkie I've not found the need for anything bigger than a decent all in one blowlamp.
--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:39:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

popularity, not price or ease of use. I got mine for nothing, and it does all I want it to do. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

It basically depends if you do any 22mm. A five quid Taymar simply won't work properly for this. You'll probably burn away any surround combustibles without melting the solder.
Besides, they're great for lighting barbecues!
Christian.

I use unleaded for domestic water, in fact nowadays I use unleaded for everything except rainwater goods.

Err is that "without success" as in couldn't solder the joint, or "without success" as in never got hot enough to allow the solder to flow?
In the first case I would blame technique, in the second I'd question if you had any water in the tube.

That would also indicate trying to work "wet" to me.

Bizarre. I've renewed all of the pumbing in three houses now working from 10mm up to 28mm using capillary joints, swaged joints and yorkshire fittings <spit>, and it's only last year that I bought a Bernzomatic so that I could have the luxury of a small, light handheld gas torch.
I don't know what your problems were, but I wouldn't blame the Taymar. I can of course only report what I have seen with my own eyes.

The solder not flowing. It was hot enough to get the flux fizzing away merrily, though.

It was definitely totally drained down. I only soldered new sections of pipe. The fact that the proper torch soldered it in seconds tends to support this. The joint to the preexisting pipework was done with a compression ball valve as there was no way to drain between the rising main and the connection point.
I suspect the main difference is that the sort of torch I'm talking about is even smaller than you imagine or had a wider nozzle. Or maybe it had started to run out of gas without me noticing. It worked fine for 15mm, though. The main problem I think was the width of the flame, making it difficult to concentrate the heat in one area. I think, perhaps, the wide nozzle was the feature most preventing me soldering it. Also, I was using a ceramic tile as a heat mat. Maybe a proper reflective heat mat would have given that last push to the temperature. It was obviously very close, but no cigar.
Christian.

Agreed (as another Berzomatic user :-)
The 10 kit from B&Q with a bottle and a simple nozzle is very good vfm. If you're doing lots of soldering, a fair amount of 22mm or practically any 28mm stuff the piezo ignition version at about 25 is worth going for. Apart from the spark ignition the flame puts a lot more heat into the job - essential for soldering the bigger fittings.
The Wickes 25 piezo ignition kit also seemed OK to me though I only fired it up and waved the flame around, and didn't use it in anger.

At which point Security removed you from the store? <g>
John Stumbles

<G>
Actually I asked the spotty-herbert-in-command firstly if I could look at one (they keep them locked away with the high value easily nickable stuff) and then if I could have a go: "as long as I don't see you" <wink>

Bizarrely, I've just had to go out and buy a new gas torch, since the pathetic Focus one I had wouldn't solder a 22mm joint. Bought a Taymer "High Power" one, yet to see if it works as advertised - the flame's certainly very impressive.
Irritatingly, they [Homebase] also had gas for the Camping Gaz [*] torches, although I cannot now find mine. I suspect I threw it away because I was unable to get the gas...
(* Who, BTW, make the Taymar stuff anyway.)
BraileTrail wrote:

was TRYING to be helpful N

No offence meant, I was trying to be amusing. Seems I only succeeded in being (perceived as ) flippant. :-(
Regards, BraileTrail

I use a 4.5kg Calor gas cylinder with a 35mm diameter nozzle attached via a flexible hose. It will usually manage, but I wouldn't want to have to use anything smaller.
Colin Bignell