Gas supply installation

Starting to plan installing Gas Central heating - our house isn't connected to gas - but there is a pipe running down the unmade road outside.

Has anybody any idea of likely cost of connection ?

Does it matter who I choose as supplier ? I assume the actual work is done by Transco ?

Reply to
jim.arnold

It seems to be totally variable ime.

Them or a contractor on their behalf. Normal procedure is to contact your intended supplier (say British gas for the sake of a good argument) and ask them - they then get Transco out to quote for the install - and deal direct with you. I think you can go to them direct - but they need to know who to give the opening meter reading (predictably this will be a 0 or near as dammit) but they also have to pass the meter point number into the standard system - but onto someone who can bill for the gas.

hth

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

have you considered lpg? most systems are compatible with lpg, after an injector change!

Reply to
Gav

If there's a gas pipe in the road it would be daft to consider LPG. Apart from needing a big ugly tank and being several times the price to run, the added value to the house of having mains gas CH, which is appealing to most buyers, goes a long way towards paying for the connection fee.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I paid a very reasonable 208 GBP about 2 years ago - that got me a capped-off pipe inside the house (cf about 700 for electric and over a grand for water).

No, choose whichever supplier will give you the best deal. Yes, transco do the work. I think you need to approach the supplier first; it was all a pretty convoluted process IIRC. Takes months! Although gas was definitely the easiest of the utilities to install.

David

Reply to
Lobster

First things first, Transco no longer exist. They have now been renamed/absorbed into National Grid Gas. Second, National Grid Gas only provide/own network shipping services in certain parts of the country. Where do you live?.

Other parts of the national network are now owned by other companies from HSBC to the Maquire bank of Australia and others!!.

Either way it doesnt matter. The procedure is to contact your gas supplier or a gas supplier as you dont already have one and request a supply. They will then forward the request to the Gas Transporter for your area who will normally send some kind of application pack for you to complete,following which they will quote...phew

joe

tarquinlinbin