Gas socket double adaptor?

Is there such a thing?

Bayonet gas socket for a cooker, which we now need to plug two items into - is there such a thing as a double adapter outlet please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I strongly hope there isn't. But SWK may beg to differ.

I suspect you'll need a registered fitter to install a second adapter and advice if your extra appliance is both legal and the supply can cope adequately

Reply to
RCW2

RCW2 expressed precisely :

Rather thought there wouldn't be, just thought it worth checking. Supply is much more than adequate, it was installed originally for a free standing double oven including hob. Now installing built in double, with a separate hob - which needs two sockets.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do the manufacturer's instructions for the hob even allow it to be on a flexible hose?

Reply to
YAPH

It has been in a long time and came with a flexi.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Will need a second socket properly installed by the sounds of it...

Given the recent inversion in the wording[1] in BS6172-2010 that is possibly a less relevant question than in the past...

[1] i.e. paraphrasing: effectively changing "fixed pipework unless explicitly instructed/permitted to use flexi by the makers instructions" to "fixed or flexi unless explicitly forbidden by the makers instructions"
Reply to
John Rumm

Well that was written by someone hoping nobody would understand it obviously. I often wonder if the people who write such regulations know what they actually mean themselves.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

certainly that was true of our local authority in the 70s. They came out with a regulation about RCDs which didn't make any sense at all. I actually wrote and told them so. It was withdrawn a couple of weeks later. Eventually, a regulation that made sense appeared. They'd obviously had to find an Electrical expert to write it for them; I know that had no Electrical Engineers on their staff.

Reply to
charles

They know exactly what they mean. The problem is conveying that to other people who may be of limited intellect or malicious intent.

Reply to
Huge

Well to be fair, my paraphras "11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer's instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug-in device conforming to BS 669-1."

Which seems clear enough.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which I would read as either rigid pipework or a flexi plug in pipe could be used - is that correct?

Makes no difference anyway, all in and working on two flexi pipes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yup, either rigid copper, or a cooker style hose and bayonet style plug in connector.

Reply to
John Rumm