gas safe plumbers: greedy and unethical?

That's different from fitting a recon part. A recon part as per geofs offering supplied by the plumber is no different to a new part supplied by the manufacturer as far as the law goes. It has to be fit for purpose and if it doesn't last a reasonable time the customer has legal redress against the trader.

A part supplied directly to the retail customer also has the same cover but its against the supplier. The plumber only has to fit it correctly. If the part fails in an unreasonable time then the customer has the capability to claim for the part and the fitting from the supplier. This can not be removed in contract, neither can the supplier claim he is trade only if the customer is clearly not a trades person.

repairs are a different matter if only because its difficult to show that the repair was the cause of the subsequent failure. reconditioned does not just mean repaired, it means its repaired, wearable parts replaced, tested, etc.

Reply to
dennis

What make is that Adam?..

JOOI what is the typical price for a Schneider or MEM 100 Amp dual pole isolator switch ?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Like copper cable Den?..

Reply to
tony sayer

earning? or being paid?

As he said - wasn't explained (I wondered too)

tim

Reply to
tim....

They can argue all they like - they would be wrong

Reply to
tim....

"free" servicing as a sales gimmick *should* be included in the original selling price

Reply to
tim....

My local garage (the same one that doesn't mark up parts) has let me down only once in 15 years when they couldn't get the required parts in time.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Niglon. A rebadged somethime a not too bad.

Dunno. But I suspect I have second hand MEM one in my stores. Do you want me to have a look?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Overnight we tie the apprentices to leashes in the store room and we do not feed them until the morning.

The 2.5 will be installed by Friday.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not touchy at all, just a sensible businessman. My profits are non of my customers business.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, to be fair, is that not to be expected with today's cars?

Reply to
Tim Streater

These things happen. The other day wholesaler could not supply 1.5mm 3 core artic flex for less that than buying an extention lead from B&Q and just cutting off the arctic flex and binning the plug and 4 way adaptor:-)

But £15 is also taking the piss. You could buy a 2 way CU with a 100A main switch for less:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Are you saying its more expensive now than it was a few years ago? I hadn't noticed, I am still using red and black.

Reply to
dennis

Slow worker then?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sometimes I don't even bother to charge for the parts I fit. eg a 1g 1 way lightswitch that needs replacing. It's still a £30 job.Why make it a £30.95 job? And I would just charge £40 to swap a shower pull switch. The money is close enough to the mark to not make it worthwhile adding up the cost of the parts.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

Well the Pikey's still have a demand for it ;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Bet he's never actually done anything

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Thats because plumbers don't fix boilers, central heating fitters do Dense

Reply to
geoff

The original plumber wants to come back and take a second look, and one of the other plumbers emailed to say in his experience sometimes it was a faulty sensor, not a faulty PCB. If I knew it was definitely the PCB, I would buy it and replace it myself but since event he professionals are not sure, I might end up replacing a perfectly good board and still need to call someone in! So I need someone to diagnose the fault (which I am happy to pay for) and as I do not live near the property any more, it might be simpler to let them fix it once they have diagnosed it.

Reply to
Fred

Are there no diagnostic LEDs on the PCB? Mine has a reasonable fault finding flow chart in the manual.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q