Gas Safe/CORGI

Anyone know whether the change from CORGI to Gas Safe will result in any changes from an end user point of view or otherwise?

Invisible Man

In message , Invisible Man writes

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The date probably just about says it all!

Reply to
Invisible Man

Capita are cowboys. They collect council tax for many councils and at the drop of a hat will get in the bailiffs. They own the bailiff companies. They then use bully boy tactics to get the money and inflate bailiff bills to high heaven, which eventually are many thousands over say a £50 council tax debt. Only court bailiffs can enter your house without invitation. Normal bailliffs are not court bailiffs. JUST IGNORE THEM and DO NOT SPEAK TO THEM. If they hang around the door get the police. DO NOT ALLOW THEM IN YOUR HOME. They may come with the police, as they tell the police there may be a breach of the peace. The police are not there for them to gain entry to your home. Ignore them and the police.

Capita (under different bailiff company names) use lies and con tricks to gain entry to homes and once in can take furniture, TVs, etc. They use smiling girls and old people to do this and pose as council employees. Sometimes they just break in and say a window was open (they can legally walk in through an open door (not push past you) and climb in through an open window.

Capita took over the TV licence collection from the Post Office. They use similar tactics as their bailiffs as when collecting council tax. A bombardment of letters that are worded like they have power to enter your home. They cannot. You do not have to answer any of their letters at all. They treat you as guilty of avoiding a licence even though you may not have a TV - writing and telling them you do not have a TV makes no difference . YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEAK TO THEM, or reply to them. The internet and forums is full of crap by Capita over TV licences. BTW, the license is to the person not the property and is for receiving TV signals, not owning a TV set. You can have a TV set off a computer and quite legal.

What bully boy tactics Capita will use in gas safety I do not know. But expect underhanded approaches and lies. One thing they will do is word their web site and documents that DIY is illegal. Expect them to insist that gas parts and boilers be only sold to Gas Safety Register men (now CORGI).

Their focus should be on illegal operator who take money for gas installations and not registered. This is rife.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

who does gas work must be CORGI registered" change from arguably true to false. Similarly for "always ask to see their CORGI registration". Unfortunately, updates, when they occur, will probably be to "Gas Safe Registered" - rather than the far more sensible "registered" or "officially registered" or some such generic version. So when Capita lose the contract, all the references will have to be updated, again.

Interesting that page seems to refer only to already-registered people. What would someone newly qualified (or just-about-to-qualify) do? Register with CORGI then transfer?

And even more interesting, seems almost no-one will be allowed perform any work without registering:

"It will be a legal requirement for any operative planning to undertake work in Great Britain after 1 April 2009 to be registered with Gas Safe Register?"

:-)

Reply to
Rod

You can't work now if you are not registered.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You mean " You shouldn't work now if you are not registered"

There is a World of difference between those two sentences .

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Ummm - I was pointing out that the sentence actually refers to all operatives planning any work needing to be registered. As phrased it does not restrict itself to gas work but covers absolutely every sort of work.

Reply to
Rod

way as they retained MOT?

Reply to
Graham.

AIUI the new name will be transferred to whoever runs the scheme in future (when Crapita have made such an utter ballsup of it that even the HSE have to do something about them) rather than staying with the current holders of the contract. Or that's the idea, anyway.

Reply to
YAPH

Why do all these organisations have to adopt silly dumbed-down names? Only this morning I had a letter from Norwich Union saying that as of next year, they're dropping the Norwich Union name and simply trading as Aviva.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Is that not the parent company ?

Reply to
fictitiousemail

It wasn't your post I replied to .It was Doctor Drivels .That's why I pointed out the difference between " Can't work" and "shouldn't work"

Reply to
fictitiousemail

I am pleased to hear that - thanks John. It would have made sense...

Reply to
Rod

At least that is not 'something or other' happy. :-) (Smiley mandatory after that.)

Reply to
Rod

Yes it is, but why drop a trading name that has existed since 1797?

Graham.

In message , Invisible Man writes

My brother has had three different CORGIs round [1] to fix his boiler and has had

both the pcbs replaced air pressure switch replaced flow switch replaced

2 diagnosed that the boiler had to be replaced [1] - when the wankers eventually turned up

I diagnosed it over the phone - a broken wire to the APS

CORGIs - waste of space (present company excepted of course)

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Highly appropriate

Reply to
geoff

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

'kin hell - agreeing with dIMM here

Yeah - I have just returned their threatening TV licence threatening letter telling them to f*ck off

... but since I didn't out a stamp on the letter, they'll prolly reject it

So I thought I'd better send them an abusive email, just to make sure

Reply to
geoff

At least they have replaced the word "engineer" with "operative"

Reply to
geoff