Gas question

I have had a new kitchen fitted (not diy !!)

The old oven was gas - the new oven is electric.

There are now no gas appliance in the kitchen - the only supply was to the oven

- which terminated in a bayonet fitting.

My question is : was it OK that the fitters left the gas supply terminated in the bayonet fitting - or should the supply be actually permanently capped off either in the kitchen or on the other side of wall where the supply comes through from the garage?

Reply to
Pat

According to my Gas Safe mate the answer is no. The bayonet should be capped off.

Reply to
David Lang

On 01 May 2016, Pat grunted:

If the supply isn't being used, then yes it should be capped off.

Reply to
Lobster

Not sure what has changed They are considered suitable permanent fittings. The open end should face downwards to prevent ingress of debris.

As others have posted you could put the pipe work in and finish with a

1/2" plug on the pipe.

AFAIK there is no restriction on dead legs in domestic gas pipework other than they should not leak and be properly capped/plugged not just a closed valve.

What's changed?

Given that all compression / non soldered connections should be accessible, I would agree with the other posters here, that it should be capped properly. Fascinating that removing a gas appliance doesn't require a "competent person".

Reply to
Fredxxx

It may be good practice, but it is not required, from GSIUR Note 65 ...

"When an appliance is disconnected and open-ended pipework is left, the pipework should always be left sealed with an appropriate fitting. A self-sealing coupling, e.g. on a cooker connection, does not need to be capped-off, except where there is a significant risk of interference (such as by a child).

Reply to
Andy Burns

From Gas Safe Register technical bulletin 025 ...

"Where a gas cooker is installed for the first time or repositioned permanently, it is considered 'gas work' and must therefore be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer who holds the appropriate proof of competence. The disconnection/reconnection (at the same location) of a self-sealing appliance connector following installation is not deemed 'gas work' and therefore may be carried out by non-registered person(s)"

Reply to
Andy Burns

And is this the law of the land - or merely what a commercial organization would like it to be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There was a hint of sarcasm in my post!

I'm sure Bulletin will be shortly be deprecated for some stringent requirements.

It's good to see these bulletins are published by the HSE and not just privately to Gas Safe members.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Well it's unlike corgi/gsr to underplay the requirement for being registered, the document was taken from

but if you'd like chapter and verse, 1998 statutory instrument 2451, part A, regulation 2, sub-section 1, interpretation of "work"

in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person [snip] but the expression does not include the connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector.

Happy?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not really. You snipped this bit:-

Which obviously is the contentious bit as regards DIY.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Brill. But if that leaves a compression fitting behind an electric oven, does that not breach the requirement of the joint being accessible?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Doesn't accessible simply mean that you can get to it without breaking anything apart? It's still accessible behind a cooker that can be removed or even under a suspended floor, but not plastered into a wall or behind plasterboard.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If I knew it was never going to be needed again, then personally I would remove the fitting and cap it. However its common practice for bayonet fittings to be left disconnected for years and bad stuff does not happen. Many houses have both a gas supply and electrical feed to the cooker location to allow the end user to select the appropriate one.

Reply to
John Rumm

I saw an upward facing one once. As noted elsewhere, the recommendation is that they should be downward facing to reduce debris ingress.

I'm with John, I would *personally* remove it if I was *sure* it would not be used in the forseeable future. But equally, I would not lose any sleep over it being left unplugged. It is not likely to fail suddenly giving a large leak. A developing small leak is very unlikely, but this is why gas is given a smell!

Reply to
newshound