Gas pipes on house wall- copper

Seen this next door to a friends today. Looks really horrid. ASAIKS it's allowed under building regs!

Would you have it on your house?

Reply to
mogga

You could always have canary yellow plastic pipe?

A relative did have a bare copper pipe up the outside of the house to serve a wall heater on the first floor. Looked awful as bright copper but it soon toned down as the copper weathered and was not dissimilar from the brick work.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes it is, but it's awful. Steel pipework would be better, but that's a more skilled job.

No.

It tends to get stolen quite quickly too in some areas, usually leaving a giant escape of gas, or in a few cases, a giant flame.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That is one thing that's crossed the neighbour's mind already today.

Reply to
mogga

Is that allowed too? :-)

How long does copper last outside with footballs being kicked at it and mountain bikes dragged past?

Reply to
mogga
.

I've got one - to feed a new boiler in the loft. The existing interior pipe wasn't big enough for the new combi. It goes up just next to a rainwater down pipe so it cannot be seen from the road. The colour has mellowed. It was essential that the feed didn't have many bends.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

mogga wrote on 24/02/2014 :

I used to go regularly to a bank, which had its main 25mm feed from the meter run 15m along an outside wall. I foot above the ground 10m long, alongside a public passage from a shopping centre. It was supposedly legal, but it used to get stolen quite regularly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why wouldn't it be? Gas Regs might be a little more to the point though!!

Yes. I'd much rather have the gas running outside than under the floor.

Then I have a red brick house so the pipe does not stand out, but the pipe can always be painted.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bright yellow PVC coated copper pipe is another alternative. Potential thieves may well take it to be plastic pipe and it should be more weather resistant.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Ours are all boxed in or under floors.

Reply to
mogga

Very, very common. I see it all the time.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is it not vulnerable on the surface though?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One for a Darwin award.