Gas pipe joint

I am installing a gas hob and need to make a connection to an existing gas copper gas pipe. Can I use a compression fitting to extend the pipe to the hob, I was also going to puy a gas shut off tap in line as well.The pipe pipe will be hidden behind a cooker, Can I use compression fittings behind an appliance where access would not normally be made or do I need to make a soldered connection first and extend the pipe to the hob. I will of course use gas jointing compound, what do you think about using gas PTFE tape on the thread as well?

Thanks

Reply to
lawrie1

Gas c*ck is compression but you really should be getting CORGI to check it and commission the hob.

Reply to
Vass

On 19 Mar 2007 01:01:12 -0700 someone who may be "lawrie1" wrote this:-

Could you not use the gas c*ck to extend the pipe? Obviously this depends on the location of everything.

Behind a cooker is no different to the screwed joint that is used to connect the pipe to the back of a cooker.

Hopefully not on a soldered joint:-)

On the thread of a compression fitting? They do not seal on the threads. On a threaded fitting? This or another means of making the joint gas tight is essential.

If you do decide to do the work yourself remember to check the joints the proper way with leak detection fluid and pressure testing.

People are only allowed to do gas work for themselves if they are competent. While this is a way of avoiding the CORGI con it is not advisable to work on gas unless one is competent.

Reply to
David Hansen

Hardly pressure testing. I assume you mean soundness or hold-up check.

Agreed, which was why I didn't post.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:10:51 GMT someone who may be "Jim Alexander" wrote this:-

Indeed. A lack of preciseness on my part.

Reply to
David Hansen

Clearly the OP question shows they are not yet up to the experience level require for this work.

Compression joints are acceptable, the cut-off is mandatory. Gas (or water) PTFE tape is not welcome on the threads of compression anywhere except where the seal is made on the threads.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

used these days.

Reply to