Gas pipe directly under floor!

It's not irrelevant at all. Common sense says there may be all manner of pipes under the floor and buy a metal detector.

1) Is that possible? You dod not say IIRC that this was a ground floor - might have been a floor with a ceiling nailed to the underside. 2) You'd have to lift a lot of the floor to get pipe sections in then swivel 90 degrees. 3) You'd have a lot more joints in the now shorter pipe sections which is not desireable.

Are you a troll?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Visit uk.misc, then decide.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We have a single (well, two, thinking about it) seamless pipes running the length (depth) of our house (about 28ft), clamped under the joists. No idea how they got it in there....but possibly through a hold made in the rear wall, low down.

(it was necessary because, unlike all the other houses in the road, our gas comes in from the rear, and that's where the meter used to be. When they wanted the meter in a cupboard on the front of the house, they ran the two large pipes to and from it)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lieutenant Scott

Couldn't they have just used an air vent?

You mean the meter reader couldn't be arsed walking for a few seconds round the house?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

It was assumed, more than 50% of floors are ground.

No. HTH.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Aren't there a few gas suppliers? Round here I can think of Calor, Macgas, and Flogas.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

It's a big terraced house. Long walk.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What happened to the good old days when they asked to read your meter?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Not behind a gate?!? But a lot of people have a gate in their driveway. So unless you put the meter on the garden wall....

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've been to a house where I couldn't tell which side of the house to look for the doorbell! Roads on both sides.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

We looked at a rental house earlier this year where the tank belonged to the house and the agent said you could buy your gas wherever you liked. The tank was underground, though. Or the agent could have been lying.

Reply to
Huge

If you're putting in screws for carpet edger why would you need to go down through the floorboards and into the joists? Apart from gas there's likely to be leccy and water services notched into the joists. None of which are idiot-proof, but then idiots are capable of almost anything stupid :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

You have to go INTO the floorboards to hold the screws. Someone could slip a bit far with the pilot drill and hit the pipe which is NEXT TO the joist just under the floorboards.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

A wise man (as opposed to a complete eejit) would have run a metal detect over the area first.

Better get your gas disconnected - it's obviously too dangerous for your house...

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you're the chap who put in the supply to my boiler (done before I moved in, so no idea who did it) you drill holes through the centre of the joists, thread a lead pipe through and solder it to the copper pipes at each end. The first section, in the cellar and done ages ago, also included lead tails to the meter and screwed iron pipe - the lead tails were replaced around the time the gas meter was renewed. Mike

Reply to
docholliday

If you ever find a metal detector that actually works, and can distinguish between pipes and nails, let me know.

And the eejit is the one putting the pipe there. It is fair to assume you can drill into your floor. And into the wall not directly up or down from a switch or socket, but I've seen wires going diagonally!!!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

You do with a concrete floor. But then mine isn't. I just don't like the idea of explosive gas directly under my floor ok?

I mean the things to go between carpets/laminate/etc in the doorway.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Lead is poisonous. Your boiler may need medical attention.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott