Gas Pilot Light

The pilot light in my friend's old gas boiler seems to be using some 0.730 m3 of gas per day.

The boiler is not in use and there don't appear to be any leaks.

Is this a typical consumption for a pilot light, or does it need adjusting?

The gas bill for 3 months this summer, with no heating used, was £48 for 66 m3 of gas (with British Gas).

Thanks,

Reply to
Bartc

Why not turn the pilot light out if boiler not used at all for the 3 months. I know my boiler uses between 6 and 12 units per month in the summer but there again that is still providing hot water.

Reply to
Gio

Yes, she would have done if she'd known the consumption was going to be that high.

This will be reported as a fault to her landlord.

The gas bill also worked out the energy consumption at around 710kWh or nearly 8kWh per day; equivalent to 5 x 60W light bulbs burning 24 hours a day -- there must be something not right.

Reply to
Bartc

Yes, I worked it out as 330W, using values off my gas bill. I have previously worked out a pilot on an old Main water heater which I no longer have at 200-250W, so it doesn't sound miles off.

As for adjustment, that is generally specified by flame shape/length or burner pressure, and not the power rating of the pilot light.

Talking of gas bills, just got one with 1 unit used on it:-) Strangely, they've decided I used that 1 unit during the 38 days after gas price went up considerably, rather than during the

57 days it was cheaper. Crafty sods...
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 20:06:37 GMT someone who may be "Bartc" wrote this:-

Is gas only used for running the boiler? Is it not used for cooking as well?

66m3 is a little under 748kWh using the fiddle factors on my summer gas bill. With Ebico 748kWh would have cost your friend £21.39 .
Reply to
David Hansen

OK power of pilot light.

0.73 * 38.4 MJ / 86400 = 325W This is bit high 100-200 would be in the right range.

The light should therefore be adjusted, if possible, to nicely contain the last 10mm of the thermocouple probe.

If you can't then adjust then this is £50+ /year reason to improve the boiler.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Tell 'em. and they should apportion it.

In fact it's probably more to do sloppy computer programming. Or it could be a scam akin to "salami slicing".

I suppose there are two chances it either works in their favour or yours.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard