Gas only?

If I get a non registered corgi plumber to do all the water plumbing (h

is quite cheap £80 a day) do you think I would manage to get a Corg plumber to connect up and check the gas for me?

Does a plumber actually have to be Corgi to fit the gas or can you jus get a Corgi plumber to check a non Corgi plumbers work

-- andymason79

Reply to
andymason79

It would take about 2 minutes to find the answer. Try using something like GOOGLE, or is it another question you are trying to ask.

Reply to
mark

Should be able to

Not sure if it is legal, I know up in Liverpool lots of corgi guys sign off on other guys (non corgi) installation work.

Reply to
justcalledfubar

This query keeps coming up on this NG. Apparently the installer simply has to be 'competent', the law does not stipulate what 'competent' is. Obviously if your house burns down or you all get CO poisoning the installer was not competent. Quite a few people on this NG do their own gas work. I believe that from this year the BCO ought to be notified of new combi installation, but that's only to check if it's energy efficient.

There are question marks over guarantees and insurance if anything goes wrong, but you takes your chances.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

installation,

No not quite correct, you have to be competent to diy but if you get an installer then the installer must be corgi registered by law, to install and commission gas installations.

Pete

Reply to
powerstation

True: in fact, from memory, isn't it true that the merely 'competent' person may not install installations for reward? That would mean that you could, for instance, install a combi for your old Mum etc, if you do it for free.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I believe that doing it for anyone else would be construed as doing it for reward, due to legal precedent. Now if you did it as a "gift", like a Christmas present install of new gas fire, surely the legals could not construe that as for profit ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Surely you can do it for your mum if it is genuinely for free? But if she buys you a bottle of whisky immediately afterwards then you would be breaking the law.

It really isn't worth doing your own gas connection on a new boiler as you will have to pay the building regulation fee which will probably come to more than the cost of the corgi engineer (who can self-certify).

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

Whilst the competent person discussions have been chewed over and hung out to dry many many times. As far as legalities are concerned the whole matter has now been completely torpedoed by the notification rules which came into force on 1/4/5.

Installing a domestic heating appliance (gas or otherwise) is notifiable work.

Reply to
Ed Sirett