Gas Meter Replacement

Having a new Smart Gas Meter fitted on Weds.

What will need doing with my boiler? (Worcester Bosch Combi Greenstar CDI). As it is in the loft, I am just wondering if I need to be prepared for the fitter bloke to access the boiler - or will it take care of itself?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

He'll probably want to see that it lights ok, I assume it's not using a pilot light/thermocouple?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It may fix itself, but ideally it will need purging. So yes the operative will likely need access to it.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's all he wanted to see when the guy replaced our gas meter earlier this year.

Reply to
Lee

I've had two gas meter swaps here (one dumb, one smart) neither time did they purge the installation, just checked boiler and cooker lit OK which they did at first click, one chap turned the wick down down on the pilot light as he thought it was a bit excessive ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our gas meter was changed last year and no attempt was made to check appliances. The chap did a leak test and that was all. He was grumpy as the meter unions were on a different spacing between the old and new meter. He just bodged it with a flexy stainless steel adaptor pipe. I got the feeling they were on piece work and wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Neither of mine did a leak test before, just afterwards, and I found after the last one (using leak spray) that a "christmas tree" of stacked reducers had a *very* slight leak anyway.

I get the feeling they fit a new anaconda and regulator as standard, they replaced a bent pipe with one when they did my dumb-meter, then replaced anaconda for anaconda when they fitted the smart-meter.

The last chap who fitted my gas meter also did the electric meter, so maybe just trained as a "meter swapper".

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ditto. But he insisted on checking for himself that all gas appliances were working OK.

Reply to
Robin

What does it normally do if there is a power cut? I'd expect him to simulate that and hope for the best. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Power cuts don't normally let all the gas out of the pipes!

Reply to
John Rumm

I would try to delay it if possible. I read in the paper today that the EU wants to standardise on them to give readings every 15 minutes. UK ones provide a reading every 30 minutes and they will all have to be replaced if the EU gets its way!

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

That'll delay the rollout by another few years then

My gas meter transmits reading to the electricity meter every 30 minutes, the electricity meter sends its own readings to the in-house display every 30 seconds, and forwards the gas readings every every 30 minutes too.

The actual meter readings are submitted to the supplier once a month, I thought I had the option of submitting them daily, and retrieving the data from the website, but they've either removed or buried that option, I can't see where I'd enable it now ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Merely buried ... in addition to submitting the monthly readings I can enable half-hourly and/or daily submission, on a per-fuel basis

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd rather have a smart water meter that could alert me to leaks (small constant consumption or prolonged (> x mins) consumption in times I flag as "not at home". That would be useful enough for me to have a smart meter of any sort.

Reply to
Tim Watts