gas meter readings

can someone help me calculate my gas meter readings? my meter is in cubic feet and I want to know how much gas I have used over the last 2 years from readings I have taken. I have not had a bill for years as I am on the staywarm scheme so don't know how to caslculate.

I really need to know how much in Kwh I use as staywarm seems to be getting dearer.

thanks in anticipation Dave

Reply to
dave

Do you have the last bill? What information does it give as to thermal output per volume of gas? (1 cubic meter = 28.31 cubic feet)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

No, unfortunately I have not had a "bill" for at least 5 years so I have no references to calculate my gas usage.

Reply to
dave

Give me the cubic feet reading and I will give you the answer.

Reply to
Tricia

my cubic feet reading over the last 2 years is 1090 Dav

Reply to
dave

If I've done this correctly it is 34788kw Tricia

Reply to
Tricia

It's in the right ball-park - except that it is kWh of course, not kW (being total energy used, not the *rate* of consumption).

The exact calculation depends on the Calorific Value - which is declared on your gas bill (when you have one!) and varies from quarter to quarter. Recent values in my area have been in the 39 - 39.2 region. Taking a mid value of 39.1, your consumption (which is actually *hundreds* of cubic feet - assuming you ignored the last 2 digits, as required) works out at

34261 kWh.
Reply to
Set Square

thanks all for your help Dave

Reply to
dave

Quting from my recent bill: We convert your units to kilowatt hours in the following way: gas units used imperial to metri conversion factor [2.83] truncated to one decimal place x volume conversion factor [1.022640] x calorificvalue [39.4] divided by kilowatt hour conversion factor [3.6] = kilowatt hours used.

Reply to
quisquiliae

I found an old bill from 2000 using that formula with my calorific value was

40.5, however according to transco website CV is now 40.3 for the north east.

I emailed house.co.uk and asked them, they say units used X 10.2264 (value conversion factor) X calorific value divided by 3.6. this put my old bill at 3 times what it actually used, so I am waiting for another response from them.

thanks

Reply to
dave

The following quote is taken directly from the house.co.uk website, in their "Any Questions" section :-

How is the amount of "Gas Used" calculated?

Take the previous meter reading from the present reading. Multiply the answer by 2.83 to give the number of cubic metres of gas supplied. (This step is not needed if you have a new metric meter). Multiply the answer by the volume conversion factor and then by the calorific value both shown on the front of your bill. Divide the answer by 3.6 to give the number of kilowatt-hours (kWh). This number is multiplied by the price per kilowatt-hour to give the gas charge.

HTH

Reply to
Paul King