Gas meter external box replacement.

Hi all,

An elderly neighbour needs to replace her external surface mounted white gas box (got a damaged by a car) but I'm not sure if it is something a std handyman could do or would it require meter disconnection hence need a Gas Safe person at least (or would the gas Co have to do it)? I didn't know if it was something you could slide out from behind all the pipes and brackets (by design) or if it would need to be a complete re-install from new. Are all these back panels built to the same spec / spacing for pipes and brackets etc?

She actually phoned her gas supplier to request a new box but was told 'they didn't replace boxes any more'.

The box is one of the more rectangular jobbies with fairly square corners / edges that I understand had a front door that opened like a car glove compartment that isn't the full size of the box. In fact, the box itself lifts off and the back panel is intact so a new (old) box of the same design would be ideal (nothing on eBay that I can see).

'Outside the box' thoughts welcomed. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

SURFACE MOUNTED GAS METER BOX MK2 Product Code: IS0005 Model No: G70036

Popular for use in conversions, or for when there is no cavity to build into, the surface mounted gas meter box can be used as a replacement cover for a broken meter box when the back plate is removed.

Owain

Is it this one

MK1 SURFACE MOUNTED GAS COVER & DOOR Product Code: IS0003 Model No: G30060/70

A replacement cover for the MK1 surface mounted gas meter box that was introduced In the 1960s but is now superseded by the G70036. It is designed to hook-over an existing back plate. 450mm wide X 506mm high X 227mm deep.

Owain

There is just about enough left of the old one to be able to stick a rule over it or I'll check if one oh her neighbours has the same to be sure.

Thanks very much indeed (on her behalf). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m