Gas Meter

Just wondering, I have been suspicious of my gas meter for some time now and since the last reading was 8A88A.888 I have convinced British Gas to fit a new one. They kept sending me 4 digit readings and they couldn't seem to understand that I had a 5 digit meter. What I was wondering was what provides the power for the liquid crystal readout. Does it have a very long lasting battery?
Kevin

now
fit
crystal
Gas plasma?

now
fit
crystal
When we moved into our house we found the display on the LCD readout completely unreadable because of the clear plastic going funny and no longer being clear! We phoned up British Gas (the name printed on the meter) who said we don't supply you - phone your supplier. I phoned our supplier who said to phone Transco. Phoned Transco and they were there within 20 minutes, replaced the meter and went. Didn't even bat an eyelid at the gas cooker being delivered whilst he was there (no questions like "you're not going to plug that in yourself are you?") and he also nicely re-started our boiler after he turned off the gas (and didn't say anything about its age, etc!).
Very impressed.
I suggest you contact Transco and say you've got a meter fault. Meters are now the responsibility of Transco it seems.
David Hearn wrote:

I beleive they are now looking to sub-contract scheduled meter exchanges. The relighting was not out of the the goodness of their heart but part or the proper procedure to purge the pipes and relight appliances. They were not particularly busy that day as that sort repsonse time is usually only for gas escapes.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:27:10 +0100, Ed Sirett

I'll vouch for that given how my Monday went! ;O(
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

time
seem to

longer
who
who
gas
not
our
age,
are
I guess so - we were told that we should get someone within two hours (I think), and they arrived 20 minutes later.
David Hearn wrote:

Gas escapes seems to be under 1 hour. With priority to larger and indoor leaks. Meter problems: high pressure, low pressure, stuck mechainsm about 2 hours. Unmovable main valve, missing handles about 4 hours.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Yep. We got a letter a couple of weeks ago saying that they wanted to replace our gas meter. It explained that it would not be transco comeing to do the work but a sub contractor (name escapes me at the mo).
Anyway, I rang them and made an appointment and they are coming during half term.... we shall see.
Darren