Gas Main Capping

We are undertaking an extension, which involves knocking down the garage where the gas meter is currently sat - which therefore needs moving. Contacting Transco, this takes 1-2weeks for the quote, 3-4 weeks for a date which may be 6-8 weeks in the future, and an additional 2 weeks if they need council approval. So - a maximum of 16 weeks. Which is a problem. We can live without gas perfectly happily for this time, but Transco say that to "turn off" the gas in the street is still 4-6 weeks from now (and we have already waited 4 weeks on the original plan of moving the meter - the documentation says 6-8 weeks total, the extra 6 weeks only transpired after we filed the application).

The question is - are Transco pulling my leg, and is there anything I can do?

The pipe onto the property, outside the house actually could remain where it is for the time being - this would allow us to knock down the existing brickwork, bring up the floor and lay the new foundations. Is there a way for Transco to easily cap this pipe (or is there a valve at the top of the pipe - the head appears to have a allen-key slot in the top, so looks more than just a connector).

What is involved in Transco disconnecting at the street - is this lots of digging or just turning a valve.

I suspect if I called Transco and said that I could smell gas (because my builder had just dug through the pipe?) then they would be able to cap the main somewhat quicker than 4-6 weeks. This obviously isn't a real option - but if I know what is involved it is easier for me to petition them to "just come and turn off the valve".

Many thanks Tim.

Reply to
tim.ramsdale

If you protect the gas meter and pipes, then you can get on with the work. However moving the meter is likely to involve digging one more holes, it would be better not to do anything that will make things harder for them. If the meter is being brought nearer the road then you might find that they can do all the work without regard to the existing meter.

Note that they only reroute the installation pipes by up to 2m when moving a meter anything more than that they will simply install the meter and leave it capped. The installation side will be down to you. +

Reply to
Ed Sirett