Gas inspection

Hi all,

A friend of mine is a landlord of three flats. Upon a recent British Gas inspection, he was told that all was okay, but it would be advisable for each flat to have a gas stopcock inside (all three are currently together downstairs). He's a little green on these issues so I said I'd ask here. Is this a good idea or are British Gas trying to waste his money (I don't know if they'd do the work themselves)? How much should this type of thing cost?

Antony

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

This is another of those areas where the rules are regularly observed "in the breach". If the meter control valve is not accessible (which might be because the meter is in a locked meter cupboard etc.etc.) then there needs to be a readily accessible shut off near where the pipe enters the dwelling.

There is a good chance that high minority of flats (including quite a few new builds not just cheapskate conversions) would be in breach of this reg.

The work should not cost a huge amount if it's done by someone other than BG.

It's hard to say how much this would cost but the materials are less than a fiver for each flat. It would depend on how accessible the incoming pipework was and whether there was any 'give' in it. £150 would seem a likely figure if there is access to all three on the same day.

Reply to
Ed Sirett