Gas hob "mains supply"

On a built in gas hob they often seem to require a mains supply. Can they run with just a gas supply?

Is the mains needed just for the ignition or is it also used for something to do with the flame failure solenoid?

Reply to
The Other Mike

In message , Man at B&Q writes

Ours works fine with the power off, it's just for the spark

Reply to
chris French

Built into the hob - I've never taken apart a hob new enough to have a FFD. But pretty sure they're self-powered and don't require mains.

Reply to
YAPH

My brother has a huge 5-burner cooker, where two of the burners are very large. They have thermocouples poking through, like you see on pilot lights. You have to press the knobs in for a few seconds before the burners will stay on, again just like lighting a permanent pilot flame in a boiler. This also triggers the electric ignition, but it all works without electricity if you light the burners with a match. This cooker is probably 10+ years old now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It was just a general query as someone I know wasn't sure their hob would keep going in a power cut.

I was guessing it may have something that when the ignition button was pressed the mains supply may hold the gas supply on for a few seconds until a thermocouple in the flame or an ionisation detector had a good signal.

Examination of the installation and operating instructions for a few I found online made no mention that the electrical connection was optional if you had access to a match or lighter.

I'm all electric anyway, with a backup camping stove I can connect to my brazing torch propane bottle.

Reply to
The Other Mike