Gas hob bayonet fitting not sealing

Hello...

I'm taking out our kitchen in preparation for a new one being installed. The gas hob is connected by a flexible hose with a bayonet fitting. The bayonet end is connected to the hob. The end that connects to the gas pipe has a threaded section that's been fitted with PTFE tape.

Looking online, it seems like these bayonet hoses should be self- sealing if you disconnect them -- but mine doesn't. Is there another kind of bayonet fitting that doesn't self-seal? If so, can you get a cap to close the end? There's no individual gas c*ck for the hob.

The new hob will be properly installed when the kitchen's in -- but I'd like to be able to disconnect the old one so I can finish taking everything out. Does this sound like a special non-sealing bayonet, or is it not working as it should?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--

Reply to
Jennifer

From your description it sounds like it's been fitted the wrong way round, the bayonet fitting should be at the "wall" end of the hose, not the "hob" end of it ... or have I misunderstood?

Reply to
Andy Burns

From your description, I am assuming this is a fixed hob. It appears that your hob has been fitted by someone who either didnt know the regs, or ignored them. They should be fitted with a permanent connection, not by a bayonet fitting, or, AFAIAA, from a copper pipe to the hob via a flexible rubber pipe. Get a gas fitter in to sort it out, shouldnt be more than £80, I pay £50 to connect up hobs, though I make it easy for the fitter by getting access sorted etc. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks both of you for your replies -- the explanation that it's the wrong way round makes sense.

The push-and-turn bayonet bit goes into the fixed hob; the threaded end is connected to the gas pipe.

Presumably it won't self-seal at the pipe if I disconnect the threaded end? That's probably too much to hope for...

Don't worry, the gas fitter is booked to connect up the new hob when the new kitchen is in place -- but I was hoping I could remove the old one myself.

It sounds like I'll have to leave the old hob leaning against the wall until then if there's no other way of capping it.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
Jennifer

Yep, that's the wrong way round, the bayonet "socket" is self sealing, but not the "plug" on the end of the hose, obviously fitted by someone without a clue!

No, sounds like you need to get a gas fitter in to cap it off temporarily for you, then re-connect once the kitchen is done (if you're still having gas hob/oven)

Not ideal with work going on around it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

We've got the plumber coming on Friday. He's gas registered so I'll ask him to do it.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
Jennifer

I think the one on my oven works the opposite way round to the norm. The self sealing bit (and it does) is on the end of the hose and the threaded bit is at the wall.

Reply to
<me9

Never seen one like that, perhaps Jennifer's is the same and the diaphragm is seized up?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It does sound like the fitter didn't have a clue - the connection seems to have been made the wrong way around, hence it not sealing.

I'm not sure that bayonet fittings are completely forbidden for fixed hobs though - it is certainly ok to use a hose connection where the manufacturer's fitting instructions specifically allow it, but not otherwise.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I think describing these things by saying one part is the bayonet end could be misleading .You could say that both parts are bayonet ends . One part is male and one part is female or plug and socket . The male part fits to the appliance and the female part to the supply .It is the female( socket) part that seals when the two parts are disconnected .They are designed afaik to be disconnected while the supply is still on although dirt could prevent it sealing so care should be taken . Fitting it the other way round is clearly dangerous ,

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I was ticked off years ago during a gas safety inspection for fitting a hob with a hose (the *correct* way round!).

I was told only non-fixed appliances may use hose-and-bayonet fittings.

However I was just told it was non-compliant rather than a safety hazard.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Which is why I didn't refer to possibly confusing male/female/socket/plug names for the bayonet, merely whether the bayonet was at the appliance end of the hose or the wall end of the hose.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which is my point .If you see the fitting then Male /Female makes it quite clear which is which but some people mght mistake the meaning of "bayonet" as you could refer to either part as that .After all a lightbulb is a bayonet fitting and the lampholder is too. :-)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Then we'll agree not to agree who's point wins!

Though I have been surprised when one of my friends was confused by the

_ _ _/| ( ) (_) and T +

signs on a pub's loos.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed ..So long we know what each of us means that'll do ( I think) ..lOl

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

It was permitted until a few years ago, so you do see plenty of them around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Much better way of describing it. I'm still not clear which way around the OP's installation is. Could the OP comment using the above terminology?

Indeed & since the male is usually part of the hose assembly I'm wondering how it could be fitted the wrong way around.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Female part of the connector screwed to the cooker/hob, screwed end of the hose attached to the supply pipe - it's been done before (there was a thread not too long ago).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker