Gas from radiator burns

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of gas buildup in my radiators and a lot of bubbling when the system is running. I read something about hydrogen gas building up in a system, so I decided to see if the gas burns when I bleed the radiator, and it it does, quite vigorously in fact. Question is, is this normal? If not, what do I do about it?

Cheers,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You could try some of that Fernox corrosion inhibitor which, I have found, also quietens down the boiler quite a bit. You inject it into a radiator so no draining required.

Reply to
roybennet

It's caused by internal corrosion. Add an inhibitor to the water - this should have been done as a matter of course anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Add some corrosion inhibitor to the system.

Reply to
Huge

|Hi, | |I've been getting a lot of gas buildup in my radiators and a lot of |bubbling when the system is running. I read something about hydrogen |gas building up in a system, so I decided to see if the gas burns when |I bleed the radiator, and it it does, quite vigorously in fact. |Question is, is this normal?

No

|If not, what do I do about it?

Add corrosion inhibitor Ferinox or similar to the system. ASAP

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thanks for the help chaps. Thats my weekend sorted then!

Chris

Reply to
Chris

If you have a conventional vented heating system with a small header tank in the loft, then it is a very easy job - just tip the imhibitor in there!

Reply to
John Rumm

Except that you really need to flush the system first - to get rid of the corrosion which has *already* accummulated.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I wouldn't have thought the circulation through the expansion tank was all that wonderful, unless the system was routinely "pumping over". It's a good place to add inhibitor when the system is drained, as it will run straight down to somewhere near the boiler (usually).

Reply to
John Laird

There is no circulation through it as such, but the clue is in the "expansion" bit of the description. Each time the heating warms and cools it will displace a few litres of water into the tank, and then suck them out again. Hence any inhibitor added to the tank will soo get drawn into the system.

Reply to
John Rumm

So the "proper" way to get the inhibitor in is to stop the fill into the F+E tank, add inhibitor, drain a gallon or so from some low point and allow it to fill again. If you leave a little water in the F+E tank it can't draw air in while you're doing it, and you don't need to drain down.

Reply to
Chris Hodges