Gas flue repair

After six visits the Vokera engineer (paid for by Vokera insurance), has said that he cannot repair the boiler because there is damage to the end of the gas flue.

The repair, still not done, has been going on for over three months and they tell me that now. Plenty of visits where they say that they don't have the parts. Cancelled by them, no show. Etc. I am very annoyed and will try to file a complaint.

Anyway, how do I repair the gas flue?

The only fault is that the very end of the plastic pipe, the one that is outdoors has about two inches by 1/4 of an inch of pipe missing. I guess that it has been slowly eroded by the hot fumes.

It seems that I need to replace the pipe.

I have two questions:

  1. How do I get to the pipe to replace it? The end of the pipe, outdoors, is protected by a metalic cage that I cannot remove easily. The inside part of the pipe, near the boiler has a much wider pipe.

  1. How do I order the pipe? How is it called?

(The Corgi inspector in their last annual inspection approved the system and gave me the certificate)

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

I wouldn't touch gas unless you are Corgi registered. Why not get a plumber to repair it and charge it back to Vokera.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Exactly how is repairing a piece of external pipework *touching* gas?

What are the consequences of this missing bit of pipe? Does it really

*matter*?
Reply to
Roger Mills

It's an integral part of the appliance or its installation and is covered by the requirements of the Gas Safety Installation and Use regs just as for gas-carrying parts. Even air-bricks come under the GSIUR if they provide ventilation for an appliance.

Could do: it may be necessary to prevent the boiler drawing back its own products of combustion into its air supply which could make it malfunction. Without seeing the damaged/missing parts it's hard to say, but boiler mfrs don't generally add the equivalent of spoilers and go-faster stripes just for decoration.

Reply to
YAPH