Gas fires and ventilation

Hello Can anyone tell me what the ventialtion requirements are for installaing a gas fire on a bedroom (and is it different from any other room)?

Cheers John

Reply to
John Andrews

You cant do a new install of an open flued appliance in a bedroom ??

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

An open flued gas fire MUST NOT be fitted in a bedroom unless it is fitted with an ASD. If you need to know what an ASD is you are not competent to install gas fittings.

The difference is about 5 years for manslaughter.

Reply to
David H

It is certinaly different, in fact I went to do a "landlords'" about 15 months ago where they had put a bed into the living room so I ticketed the gas fire 'for being the wrong type of appliance for the location (bedroom)'.

Off the top of my head. I think there is an absolute limit of 14kW for the appliance.

Any open flued appliance _must_ incorporate an atmospheric safety device when used in the bedroom. The devices are known variously as ADS (Atmospheric Sensing Sevices). ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor). Oxy-pilot. Vitiation sensor.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"Ed Sirett" wrote | It is certinaly different, in fact I went to do a "landlords'" about | 15 months ago where they had put a bed into the living room so I | ticketed the gas fire 'for being the wrong type of appliance for | the location (bedroom)'. | Off the top of my head. | I think there is an absolute limit of 14kW for the appliance. | Any open flued appliance _must_ incorporate an atmospheric safety | device when used in the bedroom. The devices are known variously as | ADS (Atmospheric Sensing Sevices). | ODS (Oxygen Depletion Sensor). | Oxy-pilot. | Vitiation sensor.

Would this also apply to a fire in a lounge where the bedroom is an internal room opening off the lounge? (The bedroom has an external window.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think as long as the ventilation for the gas fire is directly into the lounge and not via the bedroom that should be OK. (Ventilation for the first 7kW of the fire's input is considered to be 'adventitious' i.e. from draughts etc, so purpose-provided ventitlation is only required for inputs over 7KW, but all the same I'd be leery of a fire in a well-draughtproofed internal room.)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I think intenbt of the the regs are about the _usage_ of the room rather than it's access.

Reply to
Ed Sirett