Gas fire thermostat locking up, spikes?

I have a gas fire at work controlled by an external panel with a timer and a thermostat, it is on a standard plug.

Occasionally the fire will not turn on or gets stuck on and becomes OK again if I switch the plug off and back on.

I believe this could be down to the other equipment on the ring main, much of it has thermostats and relays, is this correct.

Do need some sort of suppression? There is none apparent. The place I bought the heater from suggested one of those metal ring things with the wire into the panel wrapped around it a couple of times, does this sound right?

It has anti frost protection but as it is I daren't leave it powered as I often get there on a Monday morning and the place is like a frigging sauna because it is stuck on.

Any input appreciated.

Reply to
R D S

Quite possibly.

A ferrite toroid - that would help. Alternatively you could get a plug in filter/suppressor which looks similar to a short mains extension lead, but check the rating. Better is to suppress the source of the noise itself.

Could you use a cheap plug in timer to disable it over the weekend?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

IMO - no.

It should have internal suppression, and not lock up under any circumstances at all.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thats a good idea, although I would like the frost protection, we have a few machines which dont like to freeze.

I have a good idea of the sources of the noise, can I suppress these at the plug?

Reply to
R D S

R D S was thinking very hard :

If the sources of noise plug in, the they can certainly be suppressed at their plugs.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The supplier of the heater did suggest that the fitters should have used suppression. Do you think adding suppression in the form of one of those ferrite rings should be enough?

With the price of gas these days I want to get it right and not have the bloody thing getting stuck on.

Reply to
R D S