gas fire that looks like a woodburner

In a previous life I had two wood burning stoves (one clearview, - far superior to the other, a morso) and and endless supply of cheap wood with plenty of space to store.

Since moving I need a heat source in my living room to replace the useless "living flame " fire.

I am considering one of those fires that looks just liike a woodburner, sits on a plinth out from the wall and runs on mains gas.

Can anyone tell me anything about them please?

Am I likely to need the chimney lined or however it functioned with the living flame be sufficient?

Reply to
vbleau

You could replace the old open living flame fire with a modern, glass- fronted, efficient version (up to 85% AFAICR). I did this a few month's ago and it is much better, with no drafts up the chimney and most of the heat coming into the room. It sits back in the normal fireplace recess or could have been be flush mounted, depending on model.

Yes, you will need the chimney lining, if the living flame fire was simply installed in the old open fireplace with nothing done to the the chimney.

Reply to
John Weston

Thanks John, whave not seen those.

Does it belt out a good heat?

Reply to
vbleau

Ours is 4.4Kw output at 85% efficient, according the the rating plate.=20 See:

for=20 similar types.

I use it to heat just the one room, when working at home during the day,=20 if needed, since the programmable central heating thermostat has decided=20 we should be out :-) It's good when you need a shot of instant heat and=20 a comforting flame after being out late, this time of year.

--=20 John W To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice

Reply to
John Weston

very inefficient ... burning a lot of gas for effect, and not to obtain heat ... but it's your money.

I had looked at putting one of these in my place, in the end I put an electric, flame effect ... only costs a low energy light bulb to run, and we use it instead of a lamp on in the room ... pretty effective.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

But in the type I use, the flame. glow bed and the imitation glowing coals, pebbles or driftwood is all in an enclosed, glass-fronted box insulated at the back and sides and with a heat exchanger in the flue, which gives warm air out of a vent. The 85% quoted efficiency of heat output is at maximum gas input.

I agree, though, that your electric version at almost 100% output will be better when the price of gas rises to more than 85% of the electicity price per KWh. Since the price of our electricity is closely tied to the oil price, as is that of gas at the moment, when will this happen?

Reply to
John Weston