gas fire / oxy sensor failure

How hard are these damn things to replace ? - I had it replaced under warranty at about 3 years old from new, and its gone again.

There is definitely no shortage of oxygen, but I believe they can be blocked by dust or airborne crud - something our house seems to suffer an excess of due to two large muddy dogs :-} (re: shortage of oxygen - the damn doors are never shut as they have free run of the house and garden, which is why we were so sodding desperate to get central heating installed...)

Is it possible to remove and clean up the component in question ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A friend at work had his fixed under warranty. It was indeed fluff blocking the air inlet.

The sensor works by usually having a blue flame blowing horizontally, and when there is no oxygen (or or it gets blocked with fluff / muddy dog / low flying pigeons) it changes to a yellow flame that goes straight up, and heats a sensor directly above it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

What gas fire is it? As a general comment though it depends on what is blocked. If your blockage is in the "gas hole" i.e. the injector then no its not generally serviceable. If you have simply picked up fluff or dog hair in the air inlet (think air hole of a Bunsen burner) or crud around the air/gas mixture outlet then cleaning with a vacuum and a brush will generally solve the problem. You must be absolutely certain that the depletion device is not cutting off the supply because its doing its job. Having lots of air inlet to the room is not going to stop spillage of fumes into the room if the flue has a birds nest in it or some other blockage, or there is an air leak into the flue which effectively kills the "draw" of the flue.

Reply to
John

SNIP

Strange that your method of operation does not agree with that generally accepted by the industry! For the record on generic oxygen depletion sensing pilots there is indeed a horizontal side flame which may either envelop the tip of a precision thermocouple or impinge on a flame rectification probe. Reduction of oxygen level in the atmosphere causes this flame to lift off the thermocouple or sensing probe. It may be accompanied by a change of colour in the flame but it does NOT rely on a sensor being heated to effect a recognition of a problem. The lack of flame contact is fail-safe rather than hoping a change is recognised by an active system

HTH

Reply to
John

Its a Crosslee Royal Chichester 6.6Kw real flame effect

I haven`t had chance to have a good look at it yet, but the pilot assembly isn`t that easy to get to at first glance - it might become obvious when the fake coals etc are removed.

It did have quite a hard winter though, and was on constantly from about September last year to the end of March when we had gas c/h installed :-}

As above - i`m not sure whether its readily accessible :-(

I think its fair to say there`s no carbon monoxide spillage - we`ve got a battery powered sensor in the same room, and that hasn`t gone into an alarm state.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That's probably it - I remembered the blue / yellow flame mechanism, but didn't think of the "failsafe" of having the thermocouple in the blue flame... Just testing you...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith