Gas Fire flue query

Hi

Total newbie - so please forgive me if I wander into forbidden territory.

My problem

I have had my gas fire serviced by Corgi registered company etc. Everything fine except they have condemed the fire and cut the gas off to it because the flue does not meet with "current regs". It is a steel single wall flue that vents through a ridge vent. The house [and the flue] is 30 years old.

They have told me that I will need to get the flue replaced with twin wall.

Does anyone know if this is correct or am I being stung.

I've searched the net and can't find anything. The engineer blamed "europe" and said it was down to "the flue in the loft gets hot and if you touch it, it will burn you". He also said the new regs came in a couple of years ago.

Is there not a safe way of "boxing it in".

I am a bit miffed that I can't use the fire and they want a couple of hundred quid for something that seems perfectly safe.

Any help, links would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Reply to
chris.m.elliott

IA most definitely NAL, but it is my understanding that these regs are not retroactive, i.e. they only apply to new installations. However, I could be wrong.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Thanks for the reply. Further digging leads me to building regs - I can't see how they can be applied ,as you say, restrospectivly. Praps one for Mr Corgi and get the rogues struck off :-p

Sorry i think I am being a bit dim - what does "IA most definitely NAL" mean?

Reply to
chris.m.elliott

IANAL = "I am not a lawyer"

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Chris,

I had a new fire fitted to the same type of flue some years ago with no problems - other than a leak in the attic that was repaired - and no mention of the "flue getting too hot to touch".

As a matter of interest, I got British Gas and an independent contractor to quote for the job and both visually inspected and 'pressure' tested the flue before quoting - (BG actually found the flue leak and repaired it free-of-charge during this inspection) - BG lost the job for two reasons: they gave me a 'choice' of only one type of fire and their quote was nearly a £500 dearer than the independent contractor - who also showed a range of fires to select from.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Doh. And some fell upon stoney places.

Thanks

Reply to
chris.m.elliott

Doh. And some fell upon stoney places.

Thanks

Reply to
chris.m.elliott

Its crrect that it doesn't meet current regulations. It is not correct that you have to make it do so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This one is at the edge of my experience. Have a look in BS 5440-1.

My gut reaction is that IF the flue is sound and passes smoke match and pellet tests then its classification is probably a "Not To Current Standards". Provided the flue system would have been acceptable when originally installed.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many thanks for your replies.

Just dug out the paperwork. The comments are "At risk, Kopex in roofspace requires twinwall" & "Fire capped & warning notice issued"

I'll fire off a query to CORGI to see if the above makes sense. I am unsure if they are correct, have misinterpreted the regs or trying it on.

Reply to
chris.m.elliott

IANACorgi. I think single-wall kopex is ok as a liner within a brick or similar chimney, but a stand-alone / unenclosed flue needs to be twin-wall.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are yes a common fault. See Gas fitting FAQ for the Meaning of "At Risk".

Done correctly the flue should have used rigid flue pipe from the block at the top of the chimney (IIRC it's called the raking block) and the Vertex temrinal on the ridge. These pipes should also be properly supported with brackets.

In practice the use of Kopex flexible liner and "sky hooks" is common. Flexible line should only ever be used to line an existing brick chimney.

There is also the possibility that the liner has been used all the way to the fire.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

IIRC all you actually ned to do is put some fireproofing - block or maybe masterbaord - beween the flue liner and the potentially flammable material.

Thats not an issue provided it has insulation of somesort btewqeen it and anything flammable. A brick flue is reckoned to be fine provided that its not a new installation.

I really thing a call to the BCO is in order.

Whilst flexible liners are not allowed on new installations, they are perfectly OK as retrospective fits, and apart from the fire barrier issues, not a reason for concern.

Bloody corgi crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm not certain but single wall was acceptable up to a certain date. However you would put in double wall if replacing.

Reply to
Ed Sirett